Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wholeness

"The spiritual journey is full of paradoxes. One of them is that the humiliation that brings us down - down to ground on which it is safe to stand and to fall - eventually takes us to a firmer and fuller sense of self. When people ask me how it felt to emerge from depression, I can give only one answer: I felt at home in my own skin, and at home on the face of the earth, for the first time.

"Florida Scott Maxwell put it in terms more elegant than mine: 'You need only claim the events of your life to make yourself yours. When you truly possess all you have been and done...you are fierce with reality.' I now know myself to be a person of weakness and strength, liability and giftedness, darkness and light. I now know that to be whole means to reject none of it but to embrace all of it."
--Parker Palmer, "Let Your Life Speak"

Things I am thankful for today:

1. A supportive staff.
2. Planning for the weekend.
3. Rev. Sally Howell Johnson's blog, Pause. Here's a quote she posted today: "May my feet rest firmly on the ground. May my head touch the sky. May I see clearly. May I have the capacity to listen. May I be free to touch. May my words be true. May my heart and mind be open. May my hands be empty to fill the need. May my arms be open to others. May my gifts be revealed to me. So I may return that which has been given, completing the great circle." The Terma Collective
4. Book group - such a great group of ladies!
5. A nice walk on a cool day.
6. A quick gnochi dinner - yum.
7. The hubby gets to be best man in his buddy's wedding! (He's starting to look for a black suit - hubba hubba!) LOL
8. Little sis, Kayla, made it into concert choir for her senior year of high school!
9. Lunch with Dad tomorrow.
10. Coffee with Rebecca tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

are you doing something fun this weekend?

Megs said...

I have confirmation "retreats" this weekend - busy busy busy. Hopefully, there will also be time for something fun!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin