Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yummy Wednesday - Italian Beef Drip Sandwiches

Hallelujah and Amen!  You gotta try these.  I'm still eating leftovers a few days later - and can't get enough.  Pioneer Woman hits it out of the ball park - er, stadium? - again!  We made these for Super Bowl Sunday...  So great!

Italian Drip Beef Sandwiches

You'll need:
1 whole Beef Chuck Roast, 2.5-4 pounds
1 can Beef Consomme or Beef Broth
3 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 jar (16 oz) Pepperoncini Peppers, with juice
Buttered, toasted deli rolls

To make:
Combine all ingredients in a heavy pot or dutch over.  Stir lightly to combine seasoning with the liquid.
Cover and bake in a 275 degree oven for 5-6 hours, or until meat is fork-tender and falling apart.  (If meat is not yet tender, return to oven for 30 minutes intervals until tender!)
Remove from oven.  With two forks, completely shred all meat, leaving no large chunks behind.
Serve immediately, or keep warm over a simmer on the stove.

*  To make in a crock pot, combine all ingredients and set on "low" for 6 hours.
**If you make it a day ahead of time, then store in the refrigerator overnight - you can remove the hardened fat from the top before reheating.  A great way to drastically reduce the fat in the recipe!

Serve on buttered, toasted rolls.  Top with cheese and melt under the broiler if desired.  Serve with juices from the pot.  (And I like a few more banana peppers on the sandwich, straight out of the jar...  Perfection!)

Enjoy!

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Prayer.
2.  My job.
3.  Health.
4.  Ideas.
5.  Support.
6.  An early end to the day.
7.  Friends getting new jobs - hooray!
8.  Giant cozy booths at restaurants - the kind you sink into!
9.  Free parking in the city!
10.  Great conversation with the hubby.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love these. I have always done it that way... I hear them calling my name...poor hubby that won't eat them!

Jill said...

I just might have to make this for the weekend. . . my first attempt at cooking beef! Have you tried her cheesy olive bread? Wow, I think you might need to take Lipitor with a serving!

Mom said...

Delicious recpe!!! Leftovers are already gone!!

Emily said...

I made these tonight and they were awesome! Good one, Megan!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin