Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yummy Wednesday - Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

"I wish you all manner of prosperity, with a little more taste."
--Alain-Rene Le Sage

"Today let us explore ways to increase our capacity for pleasure - our taste for life - by delighting in this simple, yet highly sophisticated sense."
--Simple Abundance

Ok - you all tease me about how often I mention food on my blog! So here we go - I thought I would share a favorite recipe on Wednesdays. Trust me, if I can make them, so can you! And most of them are pretty healthy - and if you do Weight Watchers, these are easily adaptable to the point system.

This first one is "Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas" by Holly Clegg (found in her cookbook, Trim and Terrific). (It's probably my favorite comfort food of all time - and it's even better if you double the amount of bacon... Just sayin'.)
Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
This easy enchilada includes chicken, crunchy salty bacon, black bean, salsa and cheese with all these great flavors working together in each bite.

Makes 6 (2 enchilada) servings

1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 slices center-cut bacon
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups salsa, divided
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch green onions, chopped
12 (6-8-inch) flour tortillas
6 ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cut the chicken into chunks; set aside.
2. In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel to soak any excess grease; discard any grease in the skillet. In the same skillet, coated with nonstick cooking spray, sautee the chicken and garlic until the chicken is almost done, 5-7 minutes.
3. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa, the beans, bell pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is done. Stir in the green onions and reserved bacon.
4. Divide the chicken-bean mixture among 12 tortillas, placing mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Roll up and place seam-side down in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Spoon remaining 1 cup salsa evenly over the enchiladas. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and the cheese is melted.

Nutritional information per serving
Calories 455, Protein (g) 40, Carbohydrate (g) 50, Fat (g) 8, Calories from Fat (%) 17, Saturated Fat (g) 4, Dietary Fiber (g) 6, Cholesterol (mg) 73, Sodium (mg) 1326 Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1 vegetable

Bon appetit!
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Sleeping in til 8am.
2. 80 degrees days!
3. Diane making my bulletin work!
4. Sweet peas.
5. A good meeting - good job leading, Andrea!
6. A new Grey's Anatomy!
7. Sandals.
8. Trying a new recipe for dinner - grilled halibut with roasted red pepper sauce... Yum.
9. Bailey cuddles.
10. Staff Parish and Church Council voted to make me full time as of July 1st! Woo-hoo!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy...I am not a bean fan... something with the texture... but it sounds good! lol...

Melissa Kaye said...

Seriously...I think I'm going to start looking forward to Wednesdays. I love food and the frequency with which you mention it on your blog. YUM-O!

Emily said...

Megan's specialty. :) I have eaten many a chicken and black bean enchilada. Delish!

Carol E. said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm using this one for sure.

Holly Clegg said...

Thanks for sharing one of my old time favorite recipes. I'm partial to southwestern food-enchiladas, and never giving up flavor. And, my philosphy, is if you don't have an ingredient or like an ingredient, leave it out...who knows--your version might even be better. I hope everyone tries it...when you cook trim&TERRIFIC, you stay trim & terrific

Emily said...

HOLLY CLEGG!!! Wow! :)

Innkeeper Seely said...

Sounds amazing. It is sooo very hard to find good Mexican/Tex-Mex in Rhode Island. Sounds easy enough to try this. Thanks

Blog Widget by LinkWithin