Thursday, May 14, 2009

Charm

"Why do we love certain houses, and why do they seem to love us? It is the warmth of our individual hearts reflected in our surroundings."
--T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings

"The minute we walk into a home, we know whether or not it has charm. There's a coziness that attracts us with cheerful hospitality. The warm resonance of a charming room beckons us to sink into the comfort to our heart's content. Simple beauty delights. Serenity, harmony, and order soothe. Touches of whimsy amuse. Personal memory reacquaints the present with the past. All's right in the world in such an engaging and inviting home...

"Money can purchase beautiful furnishings and decorative accessories, but it cannot ensure that charm abides with us. I believe this is because charm seems to be a quality of the soul that cannot be bought or sold. But charm can be channeled from Creative Spirit. It is accessed through our authenticity, expressed in our personal flair."
--Simple Abundance

This weekend and next weekend, the hubby and I will be working on our house. Some painting, patching, cleaning, hanging pictures... It's all planned out and ready to go! But in everything we do to our home... We always keep in mind - Simplicity. Personal. Beauty. Comfort. And a touch of Whimsy.

I'll be sure to post before and after pictures!

How would you describe your home?

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Cookies - still.
2. Diane's stories and laughter at work.
3. Kleenex.
4. A husband who laughs at my sobs during Grey's Anatomy.
5. A beautiful day for a walk.
6. Picking paint colors - maybe going a little bolder than originally planned!
7. A quiet day.
8. The dog acting upset when the hubby teased her about having the swine flu... at every mention she jumps up and runs away... Weird.
9. More birds at the birdfeeder.
10. Hot fudge sundae with raspberries!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Right Now?? A Mess! lol In general...simple

Melissa Kaye said...

Jake is going to be painting our kitchen cupboards this weekend! I'm not allowed to do much around the house right now, so I'll be keeping him company.

Our house is tiny, but warm and comfortable. We've had comments that when you drive up to our house and see in our window it looks so cozy. We try to keep things uncluttered...which is difficult with 3 kids, but our decor is simple and clean. Hopefully you guys will all get an opportunity to come see it some time this summer. I'd love to have a BBQ with the book group ladies!

Carol E. said...

Right now it's a mess. I have some "finished looks" in my mind, but don't know if I'll ever get them all accomplished. We aren't on top of things like you are. Instead I'll probably make a quilt!

Melissa Kaye said...

Jake cried with me at Grey's. I threw my book across the room about John Doe. I'm mad!

Diane said...

Ahh....and I so enjoy laughing with you as well on Tuesdays and Thursdays!

Unknown said...

Thanks Megan for the warning on your email.. I am watching it from 3-5... dang recital!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin