from the Penzey's Spices catalog (Winter 2011)
3/4 cup oat flour (you can make your own by grinding 1 cup whole oats - not instant - in a food processor)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg (freshly grated is best!)
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp butter (melted and cooled slightly)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup cooked oatmeal*, not instant
1 Tbsp honey
2 large eggs
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
1) Mix together the oat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
2) In a smaller bowl, stir the melted cooled butter, buttermilk, cooked oatmeal, honey, and eggs together until thoroughly combined.
3) Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients only until combined. Fold in the pecans. Do not over mix; the batter will not have a uniform appearance.
4) Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until water sizzles when dripped onto the pan. Lightly coat the pan with 1 tsp melted butter.
5) Drop batter into the pan in 1/4 cup mounds. Flip the pancakes when bubbles begin to form around the edges and cook until the bottom is a dark golden brown, about 5 minutes total.
6) You may keep the pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven, if needed, until all are completed.
* To make cooked oatmeal, bring 2 cups of water, 1 cup of whole rolled oats and a pinch of salt to a boil and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Let cool.
Makes about 20 pancakes.
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Penzey's Spices - all kinds of good stuff!
2. The new Amos Less CD - "Mission Bell."
3. Spending the afternoon with Em, Sam, and Elly.
(Mom, the jewelry was a big hit!)
4. Play-dough. It's awesome.
5. Elly's "Oh, sure."
7. My mom making soup for my friend. Very nice.
8. The hubby doing a lot around the house this week - so nice.
9. Dozing on the couch... So relaxing.
10. "Modern Family" - makes me chuckle.