Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Fun and Fave Five - May 29th

It's Friday! I don't get much of a weekend, this week, due to some youth group activities - but I do love spending time with the kids, so it's all good! And next weekend, I get five days in Pittsburgh with my sister Emily and her family... So I'll tough it out!

Here's my Friday Fun - some random get-to-know-you questions - feel free to use them, if you'd like!

Giving birth: how old is too old? Ha ha ha. Last week my doctor and I were joking about the woman in England who is 66 and pregnant. I asked him if he knew about it, and he said, "no... but I guarantee, that's not natural!" I laughed and promised him I won't wait that long to decide!

Would you rather have ten children or none? Uh. None. I'm scared of two or three.

What it the scariest thing about parenting? The lack of control you really have over your kids or the rest of the world. I think I would end up being way overprotective - and it still wouldn't matter... Anything could happen, anytime... That scares me. I worry enough about the people I love.

Should children be sheltered from unhappiness? No. I think parents shelter their kids way too much these days. Kids need to know that life will not always go the way they want it to - and that's ok. Life will go on, and they will find happiness in other ways. I think we end up hurting kids more than helping them when we underestimate their resilience.

What drives you craziest about children, yours or others? The lack of respect and accountability for their actions. I sound like an old lady, but I cannot believe how disrespectful kids are these days. And when they don't feel like taking responsibility for their own actions, their parents make excuses for them?! It's an absolute JOY when I get to work with a kid with a good head on their shoulders and parents who keep their kid accountable.

At what age do you think children are cutest to observe? I love first, second, and third grade kids. They're still somewhat innocent - but full of mischief, they're curious and full of wonder, and they're smart and want to keep learning. And they like to tell you all about what they're thinking about the world - so fun.

Would you ever adopt a child? Yes. I would like to eventually.

Anything can be fun if you want it to be: agree or disagree? “Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens." --Kahlil Gibran. I agree. For goodness sakes, I laugh with my doctors at annual exams, and today during a mammogram....!

Would you rather skydive or hang glide? Well, I have sky-dived - and loved it. And I would love to try hang gliding! (Although the older I get, the wimpier I get... So we'll see!)

Would you rather put together a 30,000 piece jigsaw puzzle or read a dictionary cover-to-cover? Puzzle. Definately. Might take more time - but definately more fun. (And at least you could enjoy the end result!)
And now for my Friday Fave Five of the week (click on the link to read others' answers, too!):

1. Went to the doctor this morning, had a mammogram and ultrasound - all is good. Praise God!
2. One of my youth group kids has been hoping and praying for a specific medical treatment to be approved for her - and she got approved and started it this week! (We've been praying for her in Confirmation class for several weeks - so this is big news!)
3. Dinner with the hubby and friends - Barb, Beth, and Heather last night. So fun to have a night out! San Pedro Cafe in Hudson, WI - our fave!
4. Notes from my friend, Em, all week. She always makes me laugh out loud - even on the rough days!
5. The pool is open and the weather is gorgeous - I'm hoping to get there this weekend!

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Good news at the doctors office. Whew.
2. Confirmation retreats - so sun. Such good kids!
3. Time at the pool - first time this year! Woo-hoo!
4. My swimsuit is too big... Lovely.
5. Chatting with my sister on the phone today - I can't wait to see her next week!
6. "Chatting" with my friend online tonight. So fun.
7. Prayers from friends. Gotta love them!
8. Jay Leno's last show - love the Jaywalking clips! Ha ha ha.
9. My dog apparently bought my hubby a new grill tonight - there was even a note on the new grill from her to him: "Dear Daddy, Thank you for playing frisbee with me even when you don't wanna... Please cook mommy yummy dinners with this. She likes to cuddle when I smell like the grill. Luv, Booger" (A term of endearment, of course!) LOL Well... at least she had me in mind when she bought it!
10. Looking forward to a busy day tomorrow! (And a grilled dinner!)

13 comments:

Melissa Kaye said...

I love your answers about kids. When Peder doesn't get something he wants, he will sometimes yell at us, "LIFE ISN'T FAIR!" Its hilarious.

I kind of feel sad for kids that don't get the guidance they need from their parents...I know quite a few kids that are very disrespectful to their parents and all adults and it just floors me. And it's for the very reason you said....they never have consequences or are never told no.

Unknown said...

Praise God! Yahooo Megan is okay! (relatively speaking of course! )

Unknown said...

Oh about kids... I think parenting is common sense...too bad there is such a lack of that! But I try to think of ways to meet the needs the best I can... I did battle with it all today with a student.. arghhhh

Emily said...

When can Elly and I come over to use you for your pool? :)

Jill said...

Ha! I had to chuckle about the 66 year old mom last week as well. It's interesting that women (because it's more natural to of course) bare the brunt more often of being "too old" over men. Didn't Mel Gibson just announce his girlfriend is pregnant? Like your doctor said, she had probably lots of help conceiving. My mom had me when she was 41, and her mom had her when she was 41 (which in 1934, that was almost unheard of), so the belief in my family is 1) I'm the next one to have a child at 41 and 2) "too old" is subjective. I'm not convinced I want to be a parent, and on the spectrum of biological vs. adopted kids I'm way more to the adopted side. We'll see. . . I agree, society has to move to instilling resilency in children, either again or more. Many kids are going to have difficult time moving into adulthood.

Unknown said...

commenting on Jill's comment: but I think this has been true in every generation... I think this generation (20 yr olds are just in our face more...) I think if you put it in perspective it isn't all bad

Willow said...

I love the 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders too. They still love their teachers.

Enjoy your weekend!

Carol E. said...

Hooray for happy news at the mammogram!!

Susanne said...

Having a friend that can make you laugh in the rough times is a precious gift!

That's great news on the doctor appt. front and on your youth group member!

Brenda said...

Sounds like a great week! Its nice when the weather is nice enough to enjoy the pool.

Andrea, the little collector said...

Hooray for good doc visits. Aren't they wonderful? And the earlier pics of your house are great. Your home is beautiful. Congrats on getting it all completed.

Diane said...

So glad you got good news before the retreats this weekend. And I am soooo envious. I have never experienced a swimsuit being too big!

Anonymous said...

Good Day!!! megslifeisgood.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. Keep it that way.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin