Thursday, May 7, 2009

Vocation

"Vocation does not come from willfulness. It comes from listening. I must listen to my life and try to understand what it is truly about - quite apart from what I would like it to be about - or my life will never represent anything real in the world, no matter how earnest my intentions.

"That insight is hidden in the word 'vocation' itself, which is rooted in the Latin for 'voice.' Vocation does not mean a goal that I pursue. It means a calling that I hear. Before I can tell my life what I want to do with it, I must listen to my life telling me who I am. I must listen for the truths and values at the heart of my own identity, not the standards by which I must live - but the standards by which I cannot help but live if I am living my own life."
--Parker Palmer, in the book Let Your Life Speak

As I'm quickly approaching a new phase of my career, more and more questions are surfacing about who is it I want to be? What is it I want to do? More and more I find who I am and what I believe is guiding me through work and relationships... Which, when you let go and allow that to happen - when you listen to our life "telling you who you are," so many things seem to fall into place. I've been really blessed this year to be surrounded by a community who believes in me, supports me, and wants to walk alongside me as we begin a new journey together - and I'm so excited for the opportunity to help lead the way!

Here's to listening, seeing, and discovering who we are - and maybe, where God wants us!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. New opportunities.
2. Meeting Lynn - a beautiful spirit. I hope we get a chance to work together on some projects!
3. Prom pictures from the youth group kids - so fun to look at!
4. Checking out a new local coffee shop - Black Sheep Cafe in South St Paul. Yum!
5. Finishing each other's sentences.
6. Catching up with JoAnne - nice to see her happy!
7. Going to a benefit dinner with Carol (from giraffedreams) and Charles last night - supporting Ampersand Families (check them out, awesome organization!).
(The hubby even won a mug as a door prize! LOL)
8. Live reggae music - reminded me of a mission trip to Jamaica in my high school days.
9. Getting to wear a pretty dress and heels.
10. Going to another favorite pub, The Local, after the dinner. Not letting our "date" end to early!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin