Ever since we went to Ireland a year ago, I've been looking for a good Brown Soda Bread recipe. When we were there, I devoured the stuff at breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Couldn't get enough. But every recipe I've tried hasn't been the same... and I was really hoping not to have to rely on packaged mixes... So I had all but given up.
Until this week! My "Cooking Light" magazine came - with a whole section about St. Patty's Day Foods. And Wa-la! Irish Brown Soda Bread. I looked through the recipe, realized I had all the ingredients, and before I even finished paging through the rest of the magazine - had the loaf in the oven!
It's really good. If you've never had Brown Soda Bread before, let me warn you - it's not sweet, it's not savory. It's hearty, a little dense, healthy, and has steel-cut oats in it which adds a little crunch now and then. It's very plain - but wonderful with a little butter and jam, or cheese, or really, just about anything else!
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Still no TV in the mornings!
2. My lotion on clearance at Target! ( I loaded up!)
3. Amanda's "Happy Birthday" message yesterday (a month early)- too funny!
4. An easier week. I'm feeling caught up!
5. The hubby's hard work cleaning the bathrooms - really well!
6. Lenten dinner at church - fun people and lots of laughter!
7. Playing games with Jacob, his dad, and his grandma - Jenga, Uno, Bingo, Would You Rather... it was a busy night!
8. Getting to bed early again - I think I'm getting used to this!
9. Cadbury eggs.
10. Ice cold milk. Yum.
In No Particular Order by Ree
12 hours ago