I know, I know. Another morel recipe?! Yep. It's just that good. If you have access to fresh morels in the spring, and all you've ever done is saute them with butter and garlic... Try this. It takes a little time, but it is very easy - and so worth the effort!
from Cooking Light magazine, May 2010
4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/2 pound morel mushrooms, halved lengthwise (you can use dried mushrooms, too!)
1 cup uncooked Carnaroli or Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1. Bring Homemade Chicken Stock to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, onion, and thyme to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in vermouth; cook 30 seconds or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup stock; cook 4 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total). Add cheese, cream, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; top with chives.
Makes 8 side servings or 4 main servings.
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Strawberry jam on ice cream.
3. Valleyfair amusement park.
4. Thrill rides!
5. Funnel cakes.
6. Cool youth group kids.
7. Some lovely people offering to do some things for me next week while I'm away from the office. So nice!
8. A very nice note in the mail - with prayers for our mission trip.
9. Crazy weather! Sun, rain, hot, cold - all just on the drive home - and all day long! Minnesota weather: it keeps you on your toes!
10. Coconut M&Ms! Yum!
In No Particular Order by Ree
12 hours ago