Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What to Keep

Continuing my reading of Secrets of Simplicity, today the chapter is about "Cherishing Your Treasure...  What To Keep."

The idea is that your space says everything about you...  Interesting, huh?  It asks three questions to begin:

Use three adjectives to describe your feelings as you look at your space
Comfortable.  Peaceful.  Relaxed.

What does your space say about you?  We value a warm, comfortable, peaceful place that is our sanctuary from the stresses of the rest of the world.  Things here are neat and orderly (for the most part) to eliminate the stress of always needing to be working on projects or not being able to find something.    We - and our guests - can sink in, and relax!

What do you want your space to say about you?  I'd like a more whimsical spirit in our house...  Playful.  We have a little bit right now, but I'd like to add more.  I'd like to find ways to highlight our successes and memories in fun ways.  I'd like a project desk...  So there is always something in the works - new creations.

Next, take a moment to think about the areas in your home that remain cluttered, and answer these questions:

1.  Why does your environment remain cluttered?
a. it's not a priority    b. I can never get around to tidying it   c. I don't know where to start
d. I feel I will never finish   e. other...

2.  How does clutter make you feel?
a. confused   b. anxious   c. hopeless   d. embarrassed   e. indifferent   f. other...

3.  What is holding you back from releasing old things?
a. I am not sure what to keep   b. I'm insecure about making decisions   c. I feel I will need something the minute after I toss something out   d. I am afraid to let it go   e. other... keeping things for the sake of others' attachments to them

4.  What would make it easier for you to declutter?
a. knowing I am making the right decisions   b. not regretting losing something   c. knowing that it won't be time-consuming   d. knowing that it will really work   e. other...

5.  How much time will I commit to change?
a. one month   b. six months   c. one year   d. as long as it takes   e. other... 

6.  What does an uncluttered environment represent to you?
a. fear   b. excitement   c. work   d. freedom   e. other...

Now, pick a cluttered place to begin!  I know for me, I've already started...  I have three totes of papers, cards, pictures, toys, objects, etc that represent my past.  Much of what is in there I don't remember and don't really care about - but I also know there are some fun treasures there, too! 
 The totes...
  ...and the organizing system. 
(I knew I saved all those bags for a reason!)

As I go through the totes, these are the questions I will be keeping in mind:

When was the last time you used the item?  Can it be used again?
Is it a collectible that could be displayed and enjoyed?
Is the item something that brings back fun memories?
Would I like seeing this again?

I already have ideas for organizing papers and cards...  It's the objects that stress me out.  Do they just stay in a box?  Do I display some things?  We'll see...  Wish me luck!


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Being able to laugh over a gross dinner last night...  Fail.
2.  Hubby got our taxes mostly done!  Woohoo!
3.  Realizing we could be debt free, except for our mortgage, by June!
4.  Heating pads (for the pinched nerve in my hip).
5.  This story...  This woman inspires me!
6.  Shrimp.
7.  Youthworker Journal.
8.  Looking forward to a fun weekend!
9.  Loose-r fitting clothing!
10.  Poodle kisses.

QotD:  What do you want to forget?
All those conversations that make me feel badly about a person or relationship...  It's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they've already hurt you.  I don't like the walls that creates...  I wish there was such a thing as a "blank slate."  But's it's harder than it seems. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin