Saturday, January 19, 2013

Peaceful

Yesterday's Question of the Day was:  What was peaceful about today?

Ahhh...  It was my day off.  I should have spent the whole day writing a sermon, but I needed the break.  I did some reading, I went to a meeting, I played with the dog, organized some stuff in the kitchen, ate dinner with Mike...  And in the evening, I worked on my sermon in the coziness of our home, sitting by the fireplace.

What wasn't peaceful about yesterday?!

Today, I'm back in my office, early in the morning...  So much work to do for tomorrow's church service!  But, enjoying having the church to myself.  Tea is in my mug, my candle on my desk is lit, it's quiet and warm and soothing.  If I get stuck on my sermon, I can go into the sanctuary and ask God for help (what a perk, huh?!).

In fact, my sermon is about the idea of "oasis" and how we offer oasis to others...  In a spiritual sense, of course!  It's been interesting to think about...  And I'm excited to put my ideas into a more coherent narrative.  What does it mean to find an oasis in God, in faith, in the church?  And what does it mean to share that with those who are missing it?  Is it active?  Is it passive?  Is it intentional or something you do only when you feel like it?  Is it a listening ear?  An offer of friendship?  Praying for someone without them even knowing?

Interesting questions...  But what I do know is that "oasis" is refreshing, rejuvenating, and... peace-filled.

Not a bad way to spend my day, contemplating peacefulness for body, mind, and spirit.

What does "oasis" mean to you?  And where do you find peace?


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Getting up early...  Happily!
2.  Hubby making me coffee.
3.  A warm, cozy place to be as the weather starts to become frigid.
4.  Already knowing where my oasis in the world is.
5.  Time.
6.  The book, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.
7.  Striped socks!
8.  Dinner with the hubby.
9.  "Downton Abby"
10.  Movie night!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin