Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tolerances

If you read yesterday's post, you read a quote from "Secrets of Simplicity" that talked about the things in our lives that weigh us down, waste our time, or distract us from the important and life-giving things...  So I've been thinking about what my "tolerances" are and how I could go about addressing them...

1.  My walk-in closet.  It houses my clothes, and a large portion of our home storage.  I just need to spend a day getting it organized and simplified...  I did the clothes last week - just need time to do the rest!

2.  I have a habit of taking on more than I need to at work.  This year, I want to make it a goal to only work 45 hours a week, delegating more, so that I can have a life outside of work.

3.  Our guest bedroom.  The closet has been my "craft closet," but just increasingly becomes a junk zone... and I have stacks of books in there, that have no bookcase - no home...  My goal is to build a project table in our loft (with storage!) and to purchase bookcases for our bedroom.  With our current budget, could be awhile til either of these things happen... 

4.  I miss being able to truly worship and be challenged spiritually.  Working at a church, Sundays are a work day for me...  I'm so busy all morning, I don't really get the opportunity to relax and worship.  And, I never get to be part of a small group, prayer group, Bible Study, etc without leading it...  I think I'm ready to look for something to feed my own spirituality.  What that looks like?  Not sure.  But in order for me to be a better leader, I need a little boost for me!

5.  Our elliptical machine not being used....  Ha!  We swore we would not buy a piece of equipment and not use it.  And here it has been unplugged for months.  Ugh!  According to my new weightloss journey, I get to start exercising next week.  So, fire it up!  It's gonna have a new life!  (Me, too!)

What are some things in your life, that you tolerate?  It's interesting to think about...  I may come up with more!


QotD:  What's the oldest thing you're wearing today?
Right now?  My glasses.  They're seven years old, bent, scratched, ugly - but they do the job in the mornings and before bed!  Don't worry - there would be a really big contact emergency for you to ever see me with my glasses on!


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Confirmation class last night.  Great conversation about the Holy Spirit!
2.  Giving one of the kids a ride home...  Sweet conversation in the car.
3.  Getting home at 8:30pm last night, and still making myself a healthy dinner.  Times are a-changin' around here!
Photo: Seriously?  Mike goes out, and I make this meal for myself at 8:30 at night?  What's wrong with this picture?
4.  A funny note from my boss this morning, starting with "Have a great getting up!"  (She gets up at least 2.5 hours before I do!)
5.  Gave my 27th Kiva loan this morning!  (Who knew the $100 I gave two years ago would stretch into so many loans?!)
6.  Much laughter around the office today!
7.  Coffee, errr...  Tea with a youth group kid this afternoon.
8.  Birthday dinner with our niece, Kate, tonight. 
9.  Beautiful, whimsical snow falling this morning.
10.  Handing out veggie recipes left and right today!  Who woulda thunk?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are interested...Melissa and I are thinking about doing a Bible study together..we had a long convo about 2 weeks ago about how to get one going...who to invite etc

Tolerances...I have many concrete ones and ones that are people based lol...

1. Unpainted or need to be painted walls in my house

2. Unorganized closets in the basement

3. Dirty car

Oh gosh I will stop there...there are many!

Carol E. said...

Re: the question of what is the oldest thing I am wearing today.. I don't know! I am wearing a jacket that I bought at a consignment shop... so its life before me is unknown.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin