Thursday, January 24, 2013

3 Day

Well...  I did it.  I registered.  I paid my fees.  I'm in.

I'm walking in the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk this August!  This has been something I've been interested in doing for several years...  But never thought I could.  I always had an excuse of some kind, mainly not being in good enough shape, and also afraid to raise the money.

But in the last year and a half, I've had three lovely ladies in my life be diagnosed with breast cancer.  I've prayed with them, cried with them, and cheered them on (mostly from afar).  It's a crappy disease and I want it wiped out.  For good.

My grandma, Baba, also suffered with breast cancer - many years ago.  I remember hanging out with her, as a little kid, when she was getting dressed one day.  I had no idea what she was doing when she put these clear balloon-like things in her bra!  I kind of giggled, thinking she was just stuffing her bra like the kids at school.  She giggled too, then told me what was really going on.  I'm pretty sure that was about the same time I first saw her without her wig - and freaked out!  I was too young to fully understand...  but amazed at this woman who was my grandma - and what she had to go through, and live with.

So, in honor of these four women, and the many others I've known through friends and family, I've decided this is the year!  Combined with my weight loss efforts, my desire to do something for myself, giving back to another segment of my community, and yes...  maybe a little pre-emptive karma (I don't have many fears in life, but I've been convinced for a long time that I'll someday deal with breast cancer)....  It seems like the perfect storm.  The year of my Walk.

I'm looking for people to walk with - if you're interested, check out the webpage at www.the3day.com.  If you'd like to donate in my name, click on the widget on the righthand side-bar!  And really, I accept all prayers as well!  This is a big goal for me - and I'm not too proud to admit, it's a little intimidating.  But that's also what makes it kind of fun!


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  My sister reaching out on behalf of someone she doesn't even know.  Means the world to me!
2.  When I needed a little good news yesterday, I got all kinds of fun notes!
3.  New babies.
4.  New jobs (for friends, not me!).
5.  Friends finishing their cancer treatments.
6.  Tea with Tracy this morning - always fun!
Photo: Hot cup of tea at Black Sheep Coffee house...  And laughs with a friend.  Good start to the day!
7.  I got home at 8pm three nights in a row this week...  And three nights in a row, the hubby had dinner waiting for me.  I'm a lucky girl!
8.  New-found courage and determination.
9.  Writing prayers and blessings to 47 church members over the last two days.  A special experience.
10.  Puppy snores.

QotD:  If you were going to start your own company what would it be?
I would open a bed and breakfast.  Hubby would have a brewery/outfitter store.  Wouldn't it be fun to combine all three?!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin