How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?" (Author, Jeff Davis)
Hmmmm... I think 3 things have helped to to continue to cultivate a sense of Wonder in the past year:
1) Always carrying my camera with me. I know my hubby gets a little annoyed with me (I slow things down when I'm busy taking pictures...), but I tend to keep my eyes open to the big and little things when I know I could capture a moment at any time! I notice flowers, leaves, the way the sun shines on snow and water and grasses... I notice our nephew's dimples and our niece's mischievious eyes... I see the pattern in a fireworks display and the beauty of a floating hot air balloon... I'm not a professional photographer by any means! But even the little snapshots to remember a moment help me to notice - and celebrate Wonder in my life...
(Candles at a prayer vigil)
(Windmills in Amsterdam)
(A market in Belgium)
(The Eiffel Tower at night)
(Spring tulips from a friend)
(My little sister's graduation)
(Lunch with kids from Rosebud Indian Reservation)
(Flying over Alaskan glaciers)
(A quirky, fun store in Portland, OR)
(Rainbows at the state fair)
(Gondola rides in Lutsen, MN)
(A walk in the fall colors)
(A beautiful sunset in LaCrosse, WI)
(Our first snowfall this year)
2) Spending time with the kids in my life - youth group kids, nieces and nephews, and our god-daughter. They all live with such joy, such curiousity, and such love. You can't help but Wonder when you're around children!
(Elly, our giggly, beautiful god-daughter)
(Fin, our spunky Alaskan niece)
(Brandon, Lauren, and Evan - our creative and playful niece and nephews)
3) Blogging. Weird, huh? But everyday, on my blog, I write about something that I read or heard and how I feel about it... What it makes me think of, how it applies to my life... I'm often surprised at the words I write - and Wonder at how God is working in my life and through me... This crazy thing called life is so much bigger and more profound than we can ever actually grasp - and writing about it everyday has helped me to keep track of where I've been and where I'm going. And some days, that alone fills me with Wonder!
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Looking back at those pictures - it's been a great year!
2. Mint hot cocoa.
3. Christmas shopping - simplified.
4. A nice number of RSVPs, so far, for our Christmas open house.
5. A clean house.
6. Goodwill donations inventoried, bagged, and ready to go!
7. Fresh snow - so pretty.
8. Plans for a fun night out.