Monday, December 20, 2010

The Torch

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person.  Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us."
--Albert Schweitzer

"I have never had the chance to thank some of the people who have jumpstarted my life when I needed it most.  An art teacher who taught me to play guitar, my godmother who knew I was in love.  Who are your people?  A parent?  A character in a movie?  A stranger?  Even a pet?  They may not even know what they have done for you, and maybe it's not something that bears directly thanking them.  We can still give thanks in a profound way for the facets of our lives that simply would never be possible without these singular, special people.

"Gratitude functions best when amplified through action.  Even if I never do get back in touch with that teacher, I have a chance to pass that spark of creativity to someone else who might be aching for it.  I have a chance to spread the flame in me to others who feel like they're just going to smolder and sputter forever.  When my spark goes out again one day, as I'm sure it will, I can trust that someone will come through and help me reignite it."
--Mina Parker, from "Less is More"


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  A productive work day at home.
2.  Catching up on my blog!
3.  Emergen-C.  I'm really fighting to stay healthy for the week!
4.  Updating our anniversary book - kind of fun to look back at our last 2 years of marriage.
5.  The hubby's excitement over the snow - and working a half day so he can get snowboarding!
6.  Being interviewed for a local paper about our "Living a Better Story" at church.  Cool!
7.  Fresh snow - so pretty!
8.  Finishing the baking.  Nice.
9.  Wrapping the hubby's present - finally!
10.  Getting "the darkest night of my life" out of the way tonight!  (Ha ha ha - the lunar eclipse and the winter solstice fall on the same night - for the first time since 1638.  Crazy!)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin