Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Defining Moment

"Prompt: Defining moment.

Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year."  (Author:  Kathryn Fitzmaurice)
--reverb10.com

1.  Reading the book, "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller.  The idea of choosing my life story - and beginning to make choices everyday in order to live it out - has changed the way I live.  It sparked a lot of thinking and examining the things I'm afraid of - and how to get over the silly fears and insecurities in order to make a positive difference in the world.

2.  Going to the "Storyline" Conference in Portland, Oregon - based on Donald Miller's book.  I took a big risk with money, traveling with a new friend, going to a city I've never been to - all to see if I could further my understanding of the book and see if I could start applying it to my life in new ways.  It paid off!  A friendship was deepened, I fell in love with Portland, the money is (mostly) being refunded, and the inspiration of the conference has affected my personal life - as well as the congregation I work in!

3.  One of the biggest things that has, so far, been lived out because of the conference is our congregation's willingness to do the "Living a Better Story" challenge - another way of making a positive difference in the world!  Each person that was in worship on one Sunday was given $5 to make a difference in someone's life.  We've heard about 30 stories so far - and it seems to just keep inspiring people to look outside themselves and see the needs of our community and world!  So cool.

This has been the year of thinking about what I want my story to be...  and looking at how I can achieve it.  There's more work to be done - but I think I'm on a postive path!  I can't wait to see what happens next!

Things I am thankful for:

1.  Donald Miller - his writing inspires me to be a better person.
2.  Stories - they make the world go round!
3.  Courage to share our stories - it's how we learn and grow.
4.  People inspiring people inspiring people inspiring people...
5.  Taking risks.
6.  Dinner last night with my friend, Marnie.  So fun!
7.  Mariachi bands.  Too funny.
8.  The hubby got to take our nephew, Brandon, snowboarding for the first time last night - and they both made it home in one piece!
9.  Travel shows.  Makes me want to go visit more amazing places!
10.  Today, Brandon was so worn out from last night's snowboarding that he and Bailey needed a nap...
11.  Bailey made all kinds of nap-buddies this week!  Evan enjoyed her company, too...
12.  Safe travels home from Milwaukee.
13.  My own bed!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin