Sunday, December 5, 2010

Let Go

"Prompt: Let Go.

What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?"  (Author, Alice Bradley)
--reverb10.com

This one had me thinking for a long time...  I just couldn't come up with something that I had "let go" of this past year...  There was a friendship I was about ready to let go of, but then it turned around...  There were times I thought I had let go of perfection-tendencies, but unfortunately, I know that's not true.  I have let go of a lot of "stuff" this year...  But that's not really new...  I just couldn't think of anything that I had truly let go of.

So the hubby and I went out to do a little Christmas shopping tonight, had a wonderful dinner out, and on the way home I asked him, "What have I let go of this year?"  He thought for only a few seconds and said, "Negativity."

Huh?

"Well, isn't that the whole point of your blog, remembering why you're thankful everyday?"

Yep.  I just didn't know if it was working...

And here's what he said that made me drop my jaw:  "Well, the way I see it, you're working not only towards letting go of negativity, but you're actively seeking to create joy."

Whoa.  That's my hubby.  I've been a little crabby towards him this last week at his seeming lack of interest in helping me with Christmas stuff and enjoying the Seasonal festivities.  (Or maybe it's been more annoyance at his obsession with all things backpacking - in the middle of December!)  But, I think that sentence forced me to "let go" of that crabbiness! 

He asked me why I was looking at him funny...  I said, "I don't think I knew that about myself..."  He just laughed at me. 

Isn't it interesting when you ask others what they see in you?  You never know what kind of answer you're going to get!

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  My Confirmation kids - a great conversation about worship (and they always make me laugh!).
2.  The Peter Mayer concert we went to last night - so wonderful!  (Here's a sample of his music.  If you love story-telling kinds of music with beautiful deep messages or funny light-hearted songs, give him a listen!)





3.  An interesting article about a local church building a community bread oven.  What a cool idea!
4.  My beautiful "God is With Us" Christmas pin.
5.  Shopping for Christmas presents - we're half way done!
6.  Memories.
7.  A 2 hour nap.  Awesome.
8.  A pomegrante martini.
9.  A new gelato place at the Mall of America - Yum-o!  (And the fun people who work there!)

(How cute are these little cups?)

10.  Conversations in the car.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin