"Prompt: Soul food.
What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul?" (Author: Elise Marie Collins)
That one's easy! Indonesian food in Amsterdam opened a whole new world of food for me!
On our first night in Amsterdam (after a very rough morning of no sleep, not being able to check in to our hotel room and nap or shower, and a rainy day - so not much sightseeing to keep our minds off no sleep!), we were about to go out to dinner with a group of people from our tour group - and were recommended an Indonesian restaurant down the street. After our experiences so far that day, I wasn't sure that I was up for trying something quite so new to my taste palate or stomach already... But decided, "what the heck?!"
Ohmygoodness. It was fabulous! The tastes of curry, coconut, warm spices, peanut sauces, and exotic smells - I loved everything I tried! Throughout the rest of our trip I looked for similar foods - but nothing came close to that first night.
When we returned to the states, I started looking into where I could get similar food and found that Indian cuisine was probably the closest I was going to get in my city. So, one night out with a friend, we went to an Indian restaurant in St Paul. I ordered cocount curry shrimp - and was in Heaven!
Mmm... my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
We go out for Indian food regularly now. I even get little Indian meals at Trader Joe's when I'm really craving just a little.
I've always been adventurous with food - but now I'm ready to keep trying various ethnic cuisines! I know there's a little Vietnamese place in town that gets rave reviews from friends of ours... That might be next on the list!
Things I am thankful for today:
1. All the things we learn and share with other cultures - including food!
2. An adventurous stomach.
3. Taste buds - so many wonderful sensations through those little guys!
5. Recommendations from friends and strangers.
6. Going with my sister-in-law to look at bridesmaid dresses - so nice to be included!
7. Our nephew's help with a big project at my mother-in-law's house.
8. Our niece trying on a flower girl dress - too cute!
9. Apples to Apples - such a fun game! (We played after breakfast this morning!)
10. Kayla's birthday! Happy day little sis!
My Quilts Ready to Serve
9 hours ago