Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Future Self

"Prompt: Future self.

Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead?"  (Author: Jenny Blake)
--reverb10.com

Oh dear...  I've never been very good at imagining these past-present-future time continuums...  But I'll give it a try!

Dear Self,

Man, life sure does go by faster as we get older, doesn't it?  I used to think that was an cheesy sentiment...  But now I'm realizing how true it is.  It seems like yesterday I was playing Barbies with my next door neighbor; too anxious to fall asleep on Christmas Eve for fear of missing Santa's visit; dealing with the ups and downs of junior high politics; going on a first date; leaving for college...  Meeting the love of my life; experiencing my first "real" job; getting my first apartment; getting married; establishing a home.

When I was a kid, I was never really able to picture any of that happening...  Like that was someone else's life, but mine would always stay the same.  And yet, I couldn't wait!

Now, I'm all grown up.  We're all grown up, I guess.  You have another interesting five years ahead of you - but you'll be fine.  You've been through some pretty big ups and downs in your life - and you always make it through with the love of family and friends, and a faith that sustains.  Keep doing your gratitude journal daily - that will help when things get rough.  Spend as much time as you can with those you love - you never know when they won't be there anymore...  And keep taking risks - from where I stand now (5 years later), you've made some great strides!  You have new interests and hobbies, new friends, and have traveled to wonderful new places!  Mike and you are loving life - so enjoy every moment.

In fact, choose to make memorable moments.  Don't let a day be too ordinary to remember it.  Be silly.  Exude joy.  Take risks.  Dance.  Laugh.  Cry.  Give.  Starting with New Year's Day - do something crazy.  Make it memorable....  As I write this, I know you'll do just that.

And last but not least - take care of yourself.  Body, mind, and soul.  Allow yourself to be who God created you to be - flaws and all.  Stop struggling to be things you are not - no one is perfect.  Enjoy your own gifts and talents, accentuate the positive, and love yourself - as God does (and so many other people!).  You're worth it.

Merry Christmas, Megan!
An Older and Wiser Megan...


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Remembering to bring gifts and cookies to work!
2.  Our staff Christmas lunch - so fun!
3.  Butternut squash soup.
4.  A gift of a little dish that says "I am blessed" - so sweet!
5.  A good meeting.
6.  Book Group Christmas dinner!
7.  Laughter.
8.  Origami - so beautiful!
9.  More sweets finding their way to my desk...  Oh the torture!
10.  Texting with my dad about Christmas.  Cute.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Beautifully written,Megan! You better watch that "Body,Mind,Soul" thing though--according to Karlin--you and Finley will be ZenBuddhistCommunists together:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin