She started to scan my items... one... at... a... time... (For reference, I had 8 little paper gift bags to begin with - most people would scan one and type in the number.) Most of my items were in multiples - but she continued to scan one... at... a... time. None of the things were fragile, but she carefully placed each item carefully into a bag. All the while with a cheerful smile on her face.
I realized, as she was new in her job, she was trying to do everything right. Trying to do everything with a pleasant customer service attitude. And, unlike most cashiers, was being extremely respectful of these items that I was spending my money on! Rather than throwing them in the bag to crush each other, wrinkle, and tear - she was being mindful of getting them home whole and intact.
My heart softened. Warmed. And appreciated her devotion to doing a good job. And I told her so. Her smile grew even bigger and we wished each other a good day.
I've worked in customer service - it's a thankless job. Be sure to smile and thank those people in your life this week - it will mean the world to them!
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Rain - lots of rain!
2. Ladies of Grace - I like that it makes me pay attention to how I treat others.
3. Turning frustrations into opportunities.
4. Tornado sirens - otherwise I would have had no idea about the severe weather in the area!
5. That my house and dog were just fine after the storms. A funnel cloud was seen over my house, and severe damage happened just south of us!
6. A great Missions Team meeting - feeling good about what we are doing in the coming year!
7. The one man on the Missions Team, walked in saying how glad he was to be visiting his harem! Ha ha ha.
8. The hubby and I taking Kelsey out to dinner before she leaves for college. Lot of laughs!
9. I didn't get a parking ticket... (but the hubby did...)
10. A cute text message from my dad.