Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ladies of Grace - August 12th

Today is our second chance to link up to Walk A Mile and share a story about where we have experienced grace - or given grace to someone - in our last week. If you'd like to share a story, feel free! This is an experiment in how grace affects all of our lives everyday! My story this week happened last Friday. I was on my way to Vacation Bible School and had to stop at the grocery store for some lunch items to share. I quickly picked up my items, went through the self-checkout lane, and avoided all contact with other people at 8am on a busy morning... I don't know that my heart was "hardened" or "cold" - it was just hurried!

As I headed out the doors on my way to the car, this older African-American gentleman comes through the door and says, "GOOD MORNING!" I smiled and mumbled an unenthusiastic "good morning" to him too.... Then he said, "You, my dear, have a beautiful smile!" I smiled again, turned to him and said, "thank you," as he quickly said, "no offence, miss, no offence!"

Now that just made me laugh. I stopped hurrying to the car, turned around, smiled, laughed out loud, and said, "You've given me a nice compliment - told me I had a beautiful smile - no offence taken. Thank you so much!" Laughing, we wished each other a good day and I turned to go.

I smiled all the way to work.

He seemed like one of those people who just has "good vibes" and is kind and friendly to everyone. He seemed like someone who truly understands what it means to give grace to those he doesn't even know - to brighten the days of all who cross his path.

I hope I can be like him when I grow up...

Where have you experienced grace this week?

Things I am thankful for today:

1. An understanding staff.
2. Headache drugs.
3. Darkness.
4. Air conditioning.
5. Suprisingly, the book, "Changing the Conversation: a third way for congregations." VERY good book about working with congregations.
6. Orange bell peppers and ranch dip. Yum.
7. Going for a walk when the day cooled off.
8. Planning a trip in November for a friend's wedding.
9. Great air fare deals!
10. Oh! Waking up at 3am for the Perseid meteor shower! For living in the suburbs, it was still pretty cool!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that story/experience! By noticing and commenting to people it must make their day be better! Thanks for sharing!

Carol E. said...

I'd like to be like him when I grow up, too, but I'm not like him now, so the possibility is not good...

Mom said...

Dad,Kayla, and Hershey went out on the boat at 3 am this am. Didn't come home till 7:30. They said the shooting stars and satellites were great!!

Megs said...

Ha ha ha - we were sitting on the patio at 3am... I thought of texting Dad, but didn't want to wake him!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin