Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dreams

"Infinite riches are all around you if you will open your mental eyes and behold the treasure house of infinity within you. There is a gold mine within you from which you can extract everything you need to live life gloriously, joyously, and abundantly."
--Joseph Murphy

"Sometimes the task we agree to take on seems virtually impossible. We think we don't have the time, talent, resources, or support to achieve it. But we are intrigued by the possibilities... Our authentic longings embolden us to obey the command: spin straw into gold or suffer the consequences. Let the dream die and with it will die the authentic life for which we long...
"...Hold the vision of the completed dream in your mind. See your heart's desire. Feel the thrill of accomplishment. Offer grateful thanks in advance. Don't ask how it will come to pass, just know that it will. Now go to work."
--Simple Abundance

Ok, here's something you may not know about me: I've dreamed of owning a Bed and Breakfast for many years now. In fact, I think I even thought about it when I was in college... So it's been a long time! I daydream about it now and then... And then realize I could never pull it off, and put the idea away.

This weekend, while I was visiting my friend, Cheryl, she brought it up - she told me that the hubby and I would be great Bed and Breakfast hosts. I laughed. I hear that a lot - but usually think people are just being nice. But it's also one of those few things in life I just feel in my bones. I know I would be good at it! Ha ha ha - I love to decorate, to clean, to cook, to chat - and to open up my home. It seems like it should be a done deal! (Except for the whole "money to start up" stuff.)

I've had dreams at night of the hubby and I running a B&B that is mostly environmentally sustainable, with our own garden, trying to use as many local vendors and products as possible, and building or renovating the property to be eco-friendly. I think it would be so cool to make a place that is completely comfortable and inviting - but also might give you an idea or two on how to make your own home more "green" or energy efficient. The hubby likes the idea, too.

After Cheryl got me thinking again this weekend, I daydreamed again - all the way home on my 4 hour drive! Ideas have been running through my head like crazy... I played on the web today looking to see if there's such a thing as grants and financial assistance to those who want to provide more environmentally friendly places - and there are some! So, I did something a little crazy. I thought I'd start some researching... I ordered some used books online about starting up a B&B - what it takes, what to think about, the ups, the downs, all the little details that daydreamers like me never think of...

Who knows? The interest and excitement could fade away again - as reality usually makes it do... But like the quote above says, I am intrigued by the possibilities... and maybe... it's time to go to work!

(I'm kind of thinking the hubby and I should really do some more research by visiting our favorite inn on the North Shore... You know, to interview the Innkeepers - again. Ha ha ha.)

Things I am thankful for today:

1. A cool, beautiful morning.
2. A nice celebration of Confirmation at church today.
3. My confirmand, Jason - confident, fun, curious, and faithful. He's a great guy!
4. My confirmand, Carissa - feisty, thoughtful, strong, and searching. I'm so proud of her!
5. Soon-to-be college students sad to leave... It means they'll miss us, right?! (I'm sad, too, Kelsey - but you'll be home again soon!)
6. Proud parents and mentors.
7. An afternoon at home - resting.
8. The hubby got home safe and sound!
9. An unexpected - and very generous - gift!
10. Daydreams.

9 comments:

Diane said...

I'd invest in your dream. You and Mike both would be great.

Dad said...

Follow your heart! You guys would be great hosts!

Unknown said...

Oh Megan what a great idea! You and Mike would be wonderful! How exciting! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Do it.

Emily said...

Whoops. I'm "anonymous" from above. Sorry.

Carol E. said...

It will be interesting to watch this story unfold.... you'd be awesome!

Hubby said...

Boy the things I learn on your blog... Funny you mentioned nothing about this last night! SHMILY

Andrea, the little collector said...

It sounds great. I want to come stay there! Opening weekend?

Glad to hear about your "active" dreaming process...can't wait to hear more!

Megs said...

Oh, Andrea - how cool would it be to invite blogging buddies to come visit the B&B?! Then I'd get to meet you! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin