Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Distances

"Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue to exist, a wonderful living side by side can grow up, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each other to see the other whole against the sky."
--Rainer Maria Rilke

What a beautiful quote - for all relationships! To allow distances (differences, interests, opinions, etc) between us in order to see each other as whole... Not just the parts we adore, not just the parts that annoy or frustrate - but to try to see the person as their whole self. And love them anyway.

Parents, children, spouses, siblings, friends, co-workers, even the neighbor on the street... Taking time to see them whole, as a child of God... This is what I'll be working on this week!

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Holy week.
2. Diane's dream!
3. It's getting warmer...
4. Getting a lot of work done.
5. Yummy taco salad.
6. Book group - lots of laughs!
7. Pictures of Elly.
8. A glass of wine.
9. Easter plans.
10. Coming home.

3 comments:

Melissa Kaye said...

Wow, this applies to some relationships we've been talking about lately, doesn't it? I always try really hard to see the whole person, but emotions tend to effect my perspective.

Unknown said...

I always like to stand back and try to reason out why people are acting a certain way or why they are doing something... before I make a judgement...mind you... I try... somedays I need to try harder!

Diane said...

I love your "Thankful" lists in general because they are such good examples of the simple things in life that add so much to the quality of our life. I particularily like "Coming home." So true but totally overlooked by me as something to appreciate. Thanks for the reminder!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin