Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Senses

"Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul."
--Oscar Wilde

"Today, look at the blue sky, hear the grass growing beneath your feet, inhale the scent of spring, let the fruits of the earth linger on your tongue, reach out and embrace those you love. Ask Spirit to awaken your awareness to the sacredness of your sensory perceptions."
--Simple Abundance

What great gifts we have in our senses! What fabulous ways to experience the world around us! To see the sun shine so bright, we need our sunglasses! To hear the birds singing so loudly and ecstaticly that we can't possibly continue sleeping! The intoxicating smell of spring flowers, the surprising, sharp taste of that first sip of orange juice, and the softness of the dog nestled next to your skin.... That's just since I woke up!

Today, I'm going to pay attention to all of my senses - I encourage you to do the same! What surprises will we experience? What beautful blessings do we so often not take the time to notice? I'll add mine this evening - I'd love to hear yours, too!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Puppy breath that woke me up - and the kisses that followed.
2. The taste of grilled mushrooms popping in my mouth.
3. The sound of our book group laughing and giggling.
4. The sight of hawks soaring on the wind.
5. The feel of sweat dripping down my back after a good workout.
6. The smell of old books.
7. The minty freshness of toothpaste in the morning.
8. The song, "Blessed" by Brett Dennen.
9. Lit up baseball games on my way home tonight - a sure sign of spring!
10. The response of my congregation when emailed the question, "what 5 things are you thankful for?" So many people have responded! So fun!

2 comments:

Carol E. said...

I'll give it a try.

Jo said...

What an amazing post. I read an article today in Psychologies Magazine that the best way to awaken your life is to pay attention to something as small as a blade of grass or a leaf. Study it carefully and then put down and write a description of it. You will be amazed at how your senses will be heightened.

It's true, we don't pay enough attention to our senses!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin