Friday, April 24, 2009

Prayer

"Praying was easy when we were children. No embarrassment, no formulas, no cliches, and religiously correct God words; we just prayed whatever words came to our minds...

"Children tell God what they are genuinely thinking. They are honest, simple, and direct. They understand that God is listening, and they understand that prayers are very important. Somehow, when we become adults, we forget how important praying is. So if you and I are going to be like little children, we must not forget our prayers."
--Dangerous Wonder, by Michael Yaconelli

I used to be terrified of praying aloud in a group. In fact, I used to have a quote taped to my mirror in my dorm room that said, "The best prayers are prayed in the heart." (Not out loud.) I used to believe that. I used to believe that my prayers were between me and God and no one else had to hear them or be present for them. I still do believe in praying when I am alone - in the shower, driving, exercising, whenever... But I also believe in the power of praying with others.

I still don't feel very confident when I pray out loud with other people... I still think about my word choices, how to make it sound "pretty," how to sound wise and thoughtful... When really, a simple, down to earth, everyday prayer is all we need. I have some friends that are learning to pray out loud - and I'm so proud of them for using our group as a safe place to try it out!

God listens. Even when we don't know what to say. Even when we use childlike words. Even when we bumble and ummm... God listens. And God hears. And God answers. What a blessing!

(I will be out of town for a couple of days - the surprise for the hubby is finally happening! I'll fill in my "things I am thankful for" on Sunday! Have a great weekend!)
Megs

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN! And have fun!

Diane said...

Great praying picture! We should use it in our PowerPoint for church sometime!

Have fun this weekend. Come with show and tell for staff meeting!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin