Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

"Jesus wants to be our friend. He doesn't want us to walk alone. But it's not just that He wants us to be with Him; it's that He wants to be with us!"
--Leith Anderson

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
--John 15:13

My day started at 5am (after going to bed at 1am) to get ready for the Sunrise Service at one of my churches - I got to plan it and preach for it this year, so we had a good 'ol time! Let me just say, it included noisemakers, people calling out to the sermon (if you read my Good Friday blog, I used some it!), and lots of laughter and playfulness! It was a wonderful way to start the day with some very fun ladies in the congregation. After this service I hung out with some of the congregation's youth and kids during breakfast - making paper boats and handing out noisemakers to anyone who would take them! Ha ha ha - people used the noisemakers in the second service anytime the word "Alleluia" was spoken - much to the surprise of the Pastor! He laughed... They ended the second service with most of the congregation singing the "Hallelujah Chorus" - awesome!

Then, I got home to finish making brunch for my family. Mom, Dad, and Kayla came over to spend the afternoon. I had the table set beautifully: candy dishes out, fresh flowers, a little "Easter Bunny" gift next to each setting, and little seed-starter pots for everyone. We had a Breakfast Strata (an egg bake) that was made in the crockpot - I was scared it didn't turn out, but it was wonderful! It was also the day my Amish Friendship Bread was supposed to be baked, so I baked that up as well, Yum-o! Mom brought fresh fruit and key lime pie for dessert - delish!
My 17-year old sister, Kayla, had commented on Facebook earlier this morning that the Easter Bunny didn't come for her this year... That she doesn't like the whole "growing up thing" - she didn't know that I had dyed Easter eggs last night and had them hidden when she got to my house! Ha ha ha. She found most of them pretty quick... But there were two elusive eggs - so Dad got in on the action. He turned into a little kid until those two were found! So fun!

We missed my hubby, who was with his family for the day... And we missed my other sister, Emily, and her family. I bet my little niece, Finley was fun this year (just over 1 year old)!

Once everyone left, I cleaned up the downstairs, took a long hot shower, put on my sweats, and plopped on the couch. I fell asleep within seconds - and slept for 2 hours! Goodness!

Easter is such a great holiday in so many ways - the Risen Christ (and the hope and light that this brings into our lives), the joy of the church community, family get togethers, AND it happened to be a wonderful sunny day! God does good work. We are so blessed!

Happy Easter!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Fun participation at the Easter Sunrise Service.
2. Joy and laughter.
3. Mischieviousness.
4. My egg bake turned out! Whew...
5. Egg hunts - espeically with parents.
6. A beautiful day
7. Wearing springy clothes!
8. Faith - and hope.
9. The hubby arrived home safely.
10. Dolly Parton's song "He's Alive" - my favorite Easter song. Here's a link, check it out - and turn the volume UP!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for a great afternoon. You are a wonderful hostess!! The food, conversation and esp. laughter were great!!! A very nice Easter!

Carol E. said...

How did I miss this post? i thought I had been keeping up. Sounds very cool that they all sang Hallelujah chorus at the other church! I'm impressed (and a little envious, but I'm trying not to be insanely jealous because that would be a non-Christian thing to do). I like the noise-maker idea, too.

Andrea, the little collector said...

It sounds like such a wonderful Easter! Hooray!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin