Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Value

"Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are."
--Malcolm Forbes, quoted in Treasures of a Transformed Life

How often do we put ourselves down for the things we are not? I'm not skinny enough, pretty enough, smart enough, rich enough, etc... It's easy to compare ourselves to others and see all of our lackings, or our faults. It's easy to wish we were something else...

But I believe God created each one of us to be the person we are. I believe we were each given gifts and talents to make a mark on this world - a mark that would make at least one person's life a little easier... A mark that would show God's love to our world.

Today, I'm going to start valuing my gifts a little more. I've taken many "gift" seminars in the past few years - so I'm going to write down my gifts here. In print. A place I can check back once in awhile and remind myself... Remind myself of the gifts God has given me - and encourage myself to be using them in a way that brightens the world a little more each day.

In three different gift surveys, these were my top gifts:

1. FAITH - The enablement to act on God's promises with confidence and unwavering belief in God's ability to fulfill his promises.

2. HELPS - The enablement to accomplish practical and necessary tasks which free up, support, and meet the needs of others.

3. WISDOM - The enablement to effectively apply spiritual truth to meet a need in a specific situation.

4. ENCOURAGEMENT - The enablement to present truth so as to strengthen, comfort, or urge to action those who are discouraged or wavering in their faith.

5. SHEPHERDING - The enablement to nurture, care for, and guide people toward ongoing spiritual maturity and becoming like Christ.

Some of my smaller gifts include: Adaptability, Connectedness, Developer, Empathy, and Harmony.

What are your gifts? And how will you use them to share some light?

Blessings on your Wednesday!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Sharing a friend's burden.
2. Prayers for the Early family!
3. A "warm" day (25 degrees!).
4. LOST season premiere!
5. Dishwashers.
6. Having a job where I can use many of my gifts!
7. 2 of my youth group kids doing a "Superbowl" children's sermon - this should be good!
8. Anticipating a fun Friday night with friends!
9. Haircuts!
10. Tears of joy.

2 comments:

Melissa Kaye said...

I see all of these gifts in you on so many different occasions! Thanks for the prayers.

AND tears of joy are the best thing to be thankful for, at least in my book. I've cried them many times today!

Megs said...

Oh Melissa - I was thinking of the inauguration yesterday - and of you, when I mentioned "tears of joy!" I'm so happy things went well!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin