Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Family

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."
--Desmond Tutu

I've been blessed by a wonderful family - supportive, encouraging, fun, and a little wacky. They make me laugh and smile. And I learn so much from them -all the time. I am so thankful for each one of them:


Mom - is always there when I need her (and often before I think I do!), she encourages me to be me, she taught me the importance of faith and family, and is an example of how to listen. I love chatting with her about anything and everything!

Dad - taught me to risk and "play it by ear," he helped me learn to enjoy spontaniety and every moment in between, he demonstrated what it is to care for family in a compassionate way, and he made it "ok" to struggle with - and question - my faith. My favorite moments with Dad, are when I feel like I'm still his little girl... :)

Emily - is strong in her beliefs and never hesitates to stand up for them (I'm still learning from her), she takes her own path in life, she is quick to serve and share her faith. It's exciting and wonderful to see her as a mom - she's a natural! She has "mellowed" into life over the last few years - and I count her as a true friend. I love to giggle with her! (In the picture, her husband - Karlin - is all the way to the right. A great guy! So fun, and so devoted to her and their baby girl, Finley. We're glad to have him as part of the family!)

Kayla - is confident, smart, and beautiful! She is also someone who will take her own path and do new things. I love spending time with her - talking music and movies, doing "girly" things like going to Aveda, and having the occasional heart-to-heart. She has a big heart - and I'm excited to see the person she is becoming!

I am truly fortunate to have the family I have. They inspire me to be a better person everyday!

Things I am thankful for today:

1. The HUGE bald eagle that flew in front of me today!
2. The beautiful sliver of moon in the sky tonight.
3. Book group - open and honest discussion tonight.
4. The Early family is doing better.
5. A yummy sandwich for lunch.
6. Mike doing our taxes.
7. A good staff meeting.
8. Chocolate milk.
9. A healing back.
10. Open minds.

4 comments:

Carol E. said...

A great family tribute! What would the rest of them say about you and about your sweet hubby?

Megs said...

LOL I don't know... Maybe they'll post some comments... ;)

Anonymous said...

What about the other two handsome tall drinks of water in the photo???? Are they not family?? SHMILY

Anonymous said...

OK--so you got me crying again!!!(Happy tears!!)
MEGAN--my first born--my friend--and somedays my shrink!!(That means you are a good listener too!) You have recently become more aware of your many gifts and-you are very creative (which you always have been). You just need to figure out how to recognize it and use it!!. You have a tender heart--recognized by Grandma and Grandpa(well, actually all of us). You are a good friend--a very good friend. You have a wonderful sense of humor and you are the most fun person to have the giggles with!!! You surprise me many times--climbing poles, sky-diving, writing a blog; and exasperate me other times(screaming your head off at the Easter egg hunt--explain that to your friends!!).

MIKE---I feel very fortunate to have Mike in our family. He fits right in with the family--is always game to pitch in, take part in our escapades and silliness, competitive with the rest of us. Mike is very caring and this was evident when Grandma was here and Mike would pitch in taking care of her. He is great brother-in-law to Kayla and it's pretty evident that they have a mutual respect for each other. The best part though is that he loves Megan and respects her,which is evident in his actions to Megan.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin