Thursday, January 15, 2009

Time

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
--Anne Frank

I've had a lot of conversations this week about time and commitment. About priorities and how hard it is to figure them out in this day and age. How life is just so complicated.

I honestly don't get it. I've never been a person to want to do everything, to want to be friends with everyone, to feel the world would stop spinning if I said, "no." I don't get it. People who don't have time for family or close friends, for doing things for others, for finding ways to feed their spiritual life, for doing things for themselves once in awhile. I don't get it.

We make our own choices everyday about what is important to us - the world, media, and peer pressure should not be able to dictate that for us. I think it's time we all take more responsibility for our own happiness and peace in life.

Can you tell that both my "quiet time" books wrote about time commitment and priorities this morning? Both wrote that deciding what is important to you, and following that every day is how to acheive simplicity in your life. As I listen to other people talk about their schedules, their obligations, and their need to be part of everything - I realize how lucky I am that I have never felt that way. Time-wise, my life really is fairly simple. And I wouldn't change that for anything!

Life is so short - my prayer is that we can all spend each moment as a valuable gift!
Megs


Today I am thankful for:

1. My passport came! I am now a soon-to-be world traveler!

2. Andy and John.
3. "Light bulb" moments!
4. Thank you notes.
5. Funny pix messages of my niece, Finley! (If they wanted to make me smile, it worked! LOL)
6. Odwalla bars. Mmmm....
7. Mom and Dad so willing to dog-sit this weekend!
8. My new Patagonia pants - yippee!
9. Subway sandwiches.
10. Paying the Ireland bill. Done. Good thing!

5 comments:

Melissa Kaye said...

Feeling passionate this morning? I used to feel obligated, but life had other plans. Now everything I want is contained in 4 people and everything else is icing on the cake. I think we're lucky to have figured this out at a fairly young age. Hopefully it's something that stays with us!

Unknown said...

I use to feel like I "needed" to do everything... but it was more about meeting the needs of kids...sports and scouts etc...but since 2 have grown I have taken a big step backward and Lydia is benefiting from that. I feel, tho, that I have wasted so much time not being in a true faith community and it makes me sad. I do have a big part of my life left and some amazing people that are in it!

Megs said...

Ha ha ha - yes, Melissa, I guess I let some things get to me this morning - making me a little more feisty than usual... I just worry that so many people are letting life pass them by - all due to "busy-ness" rather than seeing each moment as a gift... Ugh. I'll get off my soapbox now! LOL

And Beth - it's so fun to watch you explore these new possibilities in your ife! Your journey is a gift to all of us to be a apart of!

Unknown said...

Thanks Megan...I know it probably gets boring for people to read..but it is such a BIG thing in my life... and I am crying right now...I need to compose.. The boys are coming!

Carol E. said...

Hey, I love the little kid's hairdo.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin