Monday, January 19, 2009

A Light Heart

"Learning to live in the present moment is part of the path of joy. But this requires a profound inner shift in our reality. Many of us unconsciously create dramas in our lives, expecting the worst from a situation only to have our expectations become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Inadvertantly, we become authors of our own misfortune. And so we struggle from day to day, from crisis to crisis, bruised and battered by circumstances without realizing that we always have a choice.

"But what if you learned how to stop the dramas and started to trust the flow of life and the goodness of Spirit? What if you began to expect the best from any situation? Isn't it possible that you could write new chapters in your life with happy endings? For many of us this is such a radical departure from the way we have been behaving that it seems unbelievable. Yet it is possible. Suspend your disbelief. Take a leap of faith. After all, what have you got to lose but misery and lack?

"Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy. It may just take you at your word. What's more, you'll discover, much to your amazement and delight, that such blessings have been waiting patiently for you to claim them all along."
--A Simple Abundance

Ha ha ha! This is so me! I used to be the overly optimistic type - annoying to all who knew me... Then I became predominantly realistic. Knowing things could go wrong, and ready to make the best of it. And now... I often find myself anticipating the worst - and being pleasantly surprised when things go well.

But there's a lot of stress in anticipating the worst... I'd like to get back to the me that couldn't wait for new possibilities and was content to find new adventures when things didn't go as planned! Maybe another New Year's resolution? I'm ready to go forth with joy - and see what happens!

Today I am thankful for:

1. My dog being home after a weekend at "Grandma and Grandpa's" house - she's always so exhausted after a visit!

2. Jerebek's Bohemian Cafe in St. Paul. Great local spot for coffee!
3. Salmon for dinner! Mmmm...
4. Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. My elliptical machine.
6. My own comfy bed - after a weekend away.
7. A quiet, lazy day with the hubby.
8. Kayla making quarter finals in a San Francisco speech tournament!
9. Bailey's Irish Cream.
10. Chapstick.

Wishing you a light heart on this Monday!
Megs

11. Dad survived a bad car accident today! The back end of his car was totaled. Thank God for BIG mercies!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that your puppy in the picture??? He/she is so curly! What is her/his name???

Carol E. said...

I love Jerabeks! I go there often. It's very close to my office.

Melissa Kaye said...

Ah, a fellow worrier. I've gotten much better about that, but man alive, it can consume me. I think your thankful lists are a GREAT step towards the optimistic way you want to live.

Megs said...

LOL That's Bailey - she's my buddy.

And yes - I highly recommend the thankful lists! It really can change your whole attitude about all kinds of things... I'm really enjoying doing it. Just think... If I can list at least 10 things a day - I could have over 3,650 by next New Years! Goodness!

Unknown said...

The thankful list also makes you really think about what is going on in your life and how you can find the good in the places where you wouldn't think you could be thankful...that is quite the sentence...but you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

It's Bailey's own fault she is exhausted after the weekend--someone should train her not to wake us up every 2 hours!! I'm thankful--so very much that your Dad is safe--when things like that happen--it just reminds you what is really important!!!

Unknown said...

Thankfully you dad is okay! How scary!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin