Thursday, January 29, 2009

Do Your Part

A few quotes from my readings today:

"The truth is, most people aren't converted (to Christianity) by sermons or Sunday school lessons. Those things help. But most people come into the faith because somebody else simply looks them in the eye and shows them a changed life. That's the kind of credibility that makes a difference."
-- John Ed Mathison, Treasures of a Transformed Life

"[Intimate and trusting] fellowship reflects God's grace and mercy. He has compassion for us, and in true fellowship, we have compassion for others. We forgive. We don't judge. We don't gossip. We trust that others will treat us as they want to be treated. We should be a church family that quickly forgives each other, so when people on the outside are looking in, they know that they can come in and be forgiven, too, no matter who they are or what they've done. God's family should be the one that celebrates the uniqueness of each individual, but at the same time, is a picture of unity."
--John Ed Mathison, Treasures of a Transformed Life

...and one more...

"If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever..."
--1 Corinthians 13:1-3

My prayer today is that we all "do our part" and find our value through truly loving one another...

Blessings on your Thursday!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Coffee with a church friend - and prayers for peace of mind for her.
2. All the people who have worked on this Sunday's worship service - such great talent!
3. The beautiful, low-hanging, orange sliver of moon! (I need to carry my camera more...)
4. Chatting with Diane - I enjoy her!
5. The dog prank-calling my mom - Ha ha ha!
6. Getting to celebrate a Catholic Confirmation with Nina, whom I used to nanny for.
7. Sharing the evening with Nina's family and hanging out with her, her sister, and her two cousins. So fun!
8. Seeing the inside of the St. Paul Cathedral. Beautiful!
9. The realization that I'm am still whole-heartedly Methodist. :)
10. Little Maria remembering "photosynthesis" and how to spell it a year and a half after we spent a whole day learning it for bonus points on her spelling test!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So maybe Bailey misses me or just wanted to "talk"!!!!

Unknown said...

Great Post Megan... especially after our book club discussion on Tuesday! Have a nice weekend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin