Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Small Things

"Our authenticity is found hidden in the small details of our daily round - home, family, work, pleasures. We think that it's the big moments that define our lives - the wedding, the baby, the new house, the dream job. But really, these big moments of happiness are just the punctuation marks of our personal sagas. The narrative is written every day in the small, the simple, and the common. In your tiny choices, in these tiny changes. In the unconsidered. The overlooked. The discarded. The reclaimed...

...What small things are you taking with you from the life you're leading right now?"
--Something More

Quiet mornings - in my pjs, with my breakfast of cereal and OJ, sitting on the couch with the dog, soaking up a sun spot, reading and writing... Peace.

Moments in my cozy office at work - the desk lamp lit, hot tea, a candle, afternoon light coming in the window, no one else around, studying, writing, planning... Productive.

Driving home in the evenings - good music on the radio, seat warmer on, clear skies with stars glittering, familiar neighborhoods, street lights, my street... Warmth.

Relaxed evenings at home - a warm homemade dinner, talking about work with the hubby, listening, laughing, a glass of wine, playing with the dog, pjs or sweatpants, warm fuzzy blankets, cuddling up to watch our shows... Love.

Things I am thankful for today:

1. The little things.
2. My little dog by my side all day long.
3. The hubby going to the store.
4. The hubby making paninis for dinner!
5. Fuzzy socks.
6. My engagement ring catching the light and casting rainbows. Makes me smile.
7. Contentment.
8. Lavender essential oils - great for headaches!
9. New recipes to try.
10. Hugs from the hubby. He gives the best hugs! (Right, Cheryl?)

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

He sure does give the best hugs!
Please give him one from me..
Sure do miss you both!

storyteller said...

After finding your blog at Friday's Five Favs, I added your link to my reader and scrolled through your last few posts ... remembered all the wonderful folks I knew growing up at the United Methodist Church in Maywood, CA ... and found myself stopping here as I think about what I choose to shared at Sacred Ruminations today. I do enjoy the authentic way you share ... thank you.
Hugs and blessings,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin