Saturday, June 27, 2009

If Grace Is True

"The God I've experienced is the God of Jesus - a God of unlimited patience, infinite love, and eternal faithfulness. Jesus described a God who waits long through the night, with the light lit and the door open, confident his most defiant child will one day realize his love and turn toward home. Jesus revealed a God who loves the unlovable, touches the untouchable, and redeems those thought beyond redemption. He said, "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you" (John 15:9)...

"It was the God of Jesus that attracted us. The God who loves people more than formulas, mercy more than judgment, and pardon more than punishment. The God who seeks the lost, heals the brokenhearted, accepts the outcast, is kind to the wicked and ungrateful, is merciful and forgiving, and love the whole world...

"God stands at the door and knocks, and if we don't answer, he looks for an open window."
--from the book, "If Grace Is True" by Philip Gulley and James Mulholland

I LOVE this book. It speaks to my heart and my experiences with God. We're reading it for book group right now - and I'm expecting some interesting conversations from it - not everyone is going to agree with the basic idea that "God will save every person." But I hope it will open some doors - and windows - to ways of talking about, and experiencing our faith in new ways.

Happy Saturday!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Thunderstorms in the early morning hours!
2. Laughing at the dog trying to "go outdoors" when it's thundering - she was startled several times!
3. A yummy breakfast - check back on Wednesday to see what I had!
4. The movie, "Road to Perdition." It was on TV today while I was doing other things - I forgot what an interesting movie it was! (And there was a reference to Kankakee, IL - a town we used to live in!)
5. Fresh avocados.
6. "If Grace is True." I had a hard time putting it down at the place the book group agreed to
stop for the week...
7. Gift cards! Fun fun fun.
8. Gift cards + Clearance sales = even BETTER!
9. A cloudy, cool day and a sunny evening.
10. An upcoming series of give-a-ways! Yippee!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am trying to finish Redeeming Love and then onto Grace... I am looking forward to some good discussion on Tuesday!

What did you buy???

Mom said...

Iam so glad your book group is doing that book---I love it-love it!!!

Melissa Kaye said...

My aunt used to live in Kankakee. A long time ago...I'm trying to remember how old I was when I went out to visit her. When did you live there?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin