Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Stand Out

"There is more here than meets the eye."
--Lady Murasaki

"Starting today, if you can't be with the body you love, love the body you're with...

"Embrace the lines that stare back, the parts that sag in the middle or stick out where you think they shouldn't, the hair that never keeps a curl or never loses it...

"We're not meant to fit in.  We're meant to stand out.  As Marianne Williamson says, 'We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?  [But] actually,' she goes on, 'who are you NOT to be?  You are a child of God.  Your playing small does not serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  [You] were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within [you].'"
--Sarah Ban Breathnach,
from her book "Something More"

Isn't it funny how taking care of yourself seems so hard, so inconvenient, so horrible?  But when you do it, you feel so much better, so good?  If we feel good - why don't we keep it up?  Why do we let things that make us feel gross have priority?  I keep asking myself that question - because I keep giving way to stuff that makes me feel gross.  And I don't know why...

A few weeks ago, the hubby and I watched Oprah when they were talking about where our food comes from (antibiotics and chemicals used in farming, the horrible mistreatment of animals, the idea of buying local and organic).  It was good stuff.  (I just mis-typed "god stuff" - maybe a Fruedian slip?)  We haven't read the books or the seen the movies she talked about yet (though I would like to), but we have already started paying attention to eating more whole foods (non-processed foods, no chemicals or preservatives).  So far, that part is going really well!  Switching to all organic or grass-fed animal products may be a little harder - and much more expensive...  But we're working on it...  And I do think it's worth a little extra money...  As we learn to plan our meals better and use up all left-overs, it almost averages out the extra cost...

And I think I feel better.  I haven't had near as many headaches as I normally do (even when I've had a very tiring and stressful week). 

My hubby is learning to dehydrate foods - what started as an experiment for backpacking trips is going to come in handy this summer when we can load up on fresh food from the farmers' markets and dehydrate or freeze it for next winter!  I'm learning to bake breads - it's fun to know exactly what goes into my bread!  And we're planning recipes to try canning this year...  Whoa.  This is getting REAL domestic. 

(This is all good and dandy for our health and well-being...  AND great research for when we have our Bed and Breakfast someday...  There's always more to the story, right?  Motivation.)

So, we're working on eating better and I've started working out again.  I'm starting out slow, I have to learn how to add it into my new work schedule.  But, I'm at about 4 days a week, 45 minutes, elliptical, weights, and stretching. 

It's time to get healthy again.  Time to appreciate the body I have.  Time to take care of it, so when health crisises do arise (and they will), I'll be ready to fight them off.  And besides, why waste life feeling tired and sluggish - when I know by changing a couple of habits, I can feel good?!

Time to get on the ball! 
(Literally...  my balance ball awaits...)

PS:  I thought of another Six Word Memoir...  Life is good.  Best to come.  (Seems only appropriate, doesn't it?)  Oooo - or:  Rough start.  Seeking balance and simplicity.  Ha ha ha, or:  Life is a gift.  Stop complaining.  Ok.  Enough.  Ha ha ha.

Things I am thankful for:

1.  My workout is getting easier!
2.  Advil - good for aches and pains.
3.  Claritin - good for sinus problems.
4.  An unexpected day to work from home.
5.  Penzey's Mint Hot Cocoa.
6.  My thick, warm sweater from Ireland (that I bought at Ragstock!).
7.  The snow looks beautiful!
8.  My African violet is in full bloom!  So pretty!
9.  LOST tonight!
10.  My ipod's playlist of workout music!  Keeps me going!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I join you? With Bo's movement toward no red meat...I am finding myself being grossed out by lots of stuff.. but I don't know where to start... help... I want to feel good...as I just stuffed a bite of muffin in my mouth...and slurped my diet coke...know what I mean???

Andrea, the little collector said...

Isn't that cocoa de-lish? I go through cycles, always revisiting taking better care of myself physically, hopefully a little better each time!

I think local matters a lot too, but haven't worked out how to support it well during the winter. Hmmmmmm....not in the habit.

Keep up the good work!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin