Hmmm... I just sat down and read my chapter for today from "Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. Interesting that today's reading focused on how we feel about ourselves - our looks. How we perceive ourselves...
Earlier tonight, at my book group, we also talked a little bit about our looks (in a roundabout way). We're reading the book "Fearless" by Max Lucado. Mostly, we were talking about the fear of rejection - which for me has always been connected to a fear that I'm not pretty enough, skinny enough, blah blah blah...
Why do we do this to ourselves? Why do we torture ourselves with such silliness? It's ridiculous.
The funny thing is, more often than not, when I meet someone new or am checking out a crowd - I almost always find the attractive features to focus on. I notice someone's beautiful smile, twinkling eyes, gorgeous hair, etc. Why do I assume people see the worst in me, first? Ridiculous.
Another unfounded fear that dates back to childhood... and time to let it go.
Yes, my preteen years. I can remember an exact moment that destroyed any sense of confidence I had. At confirmation camp, some girls were in my tent without me and I overheard their conversation. One of them was holding up my swimsuit and told the others it was the size of a garbage bag (which it was not - talk about over exaggeration!) Bu that moment set a course for my life...
Ridiculous. I am a child of God. Beloved. Precious. And beautiful to behold. Time to live as though I believe this, huh?
How about you? Do you have these insecurities? Why? How do you deal with them?
Things I am thankful for today:
1. A clean and organized office. Woo-hoo!
2. A good staff meeting - so fun to work with great people.
3. An apple. Tasted good.
4. A stranger telling me I have a warm and friendly personality. So nice!
5. Chatting on Facebook with a former youth group kid about "LOST." So fun.
6. A wonderful response to a post on our church blog. Beauitful prayers!
7. A productive Mission Team meeting - with wonderful new team members!
8. Book group tonight - great, as usual. We're talking about our fears... So interesting!
9. Getting home in time to catch most of the premiere of "LOST." Crazy as ever!
10. The hubby and I finishing off the brownies. Yum.
Psst... This is my 401st post!!!! Whoa! That's just crazy....
How to Naturally Dye Easter Eggs by Bridget
17 hours ago