Monday, February 22, 2010

Vitality

"In a virtuous circle, research shows, being happy energizes you, and at the same time, having more energy makes it easier for you to engage in activities - like socializing and exercise - that boost happiness.  Studies also show that when you feel energetic, your self-esteem rises.  Feeling tired, on the other hand, makes everything seem arduous.  An activity that you'd ordinarily find fun, like putting up holiday decorations, feels difficult, and a more demanding task, like learning a new software program, feels overwhelming.

"I know that when I feel energetic I find it much easier to to behave in ways that make me happy."
--Gretchen Rubin, "The Happiness Project"

I've started reading "The Happiness Project" out of curiousity...  and am finding it interesting and fun.  For the month of January, Gretchen decides to focus on Vitality- Boosting Energy.  She makes goals to 1)Go to sleep earlier.  2)Exercise better.  3)Toss, restore, organize.  4)Tackle a nagging task.  5)Act more energetic.

Funny.  These are all things I feel like I need to be working on, too.  I've been staying up way too late.  For no reason.  I just stare at the tv, hoping all the random thoughts will stop long enough for me to doze off...  Last night, my hubby practically challenged me to come to bed at 10:15pm.  I gave it a try - and lo and behold!  I fell asleep!!!  Woo-hoo!  (I think I'll try that again tonight...)

Exercise better.  I've been starting.  I've managed about 3 days a week lately...  Tomorrow I will get up and get on the elliptical.  Ok - I told the whole world that.  Hold me to it, ok?

Toss, restore, organize.  Ha ha ha. I've started that already this month.  Our kitchen is looking good!  I'm hoping this weekend (while the hubby's out of town) to tackle a couple of closets.  The weird thing?  I can't wait.  I know, I'm weird.  I feel so much better when things are cleaned out...  It's free-ing in a weird way.

Tackle a nagging task.  Well, the guest room closet would be one nagging task...  I'll have to make a list of them.  Maybe one a month is good?  What kinds of nagging tasks do you have?

Act more energetic.  The funny thing is, when I'm outside my home, I feel like I do act more energetic...  Up until my evening meetings.  Then, I just can't hide it anymore!  I'll work on it...

"It is by studying the little things," wrote Samuel Johnson, "that we attain the great art of having as little misery, and as much happiness as possible."

What "little things" are you tackling this month?

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  A day off.  No emails.  No phone calls.  No work.
2.  Turns out I didn't crack a tooth afterall!  (I think my dentist thinks I'm a dental hypochondriac!)
3.  A haircut.  Boy, did I need one!
4.  Time to read in bed this morning.  Nice.
5.  A Valentine in the mail from Miss Finley!
6.  My "Cooking Light" magazine came today...  with a whole section on Irish food!  Woo-hoo!
7.  I made the Irish Brown Soda bread immediately.  Fabulous.  Makes me want to go back to Ireland!
8.  Going for a walk with the hubby and the dog (even if I did fall on my butt, thanks to the miles of ice on our trails!).
9.  Strawberry milkshakes for dessert.
10.  Feeling ready for bed already - 9pm...  Lovely

1 comment:

Jill said...

please post the recipe for the bread :) or maybe i'll have to pick up the magazine too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin