Sunday, February 21, 2010

Just Enough

"I think knowing what you cannot do is more important than knowing what you can do.  In fact, that's good taste."
--Lucille Ball

"Do what you can do.  No more, no less.  That's my new mantra."
--Mina Parker, "Less is More"

What a perfect reading for this weekend!  I've been busy, busy, busy - there hasn't been enough time in a day to accomplish, what seems like, anything!

The problem is...  Much of it is work-related.  Much of it does have to get done.  And the biggest problem?  I WANT to do it!  Grrr...  It's easy to talk about priorities and only biting off what we want to chew - or have to chew...  But what do you say to the person that gets off-kilter doing stuff they ARE passionate about?  That's my problem.

I worked really long days all week last week.  Friday is supposed to be my day off, but we had a prayer vigil starting at church Saturday morning - so I went in for a few hours to set up prayer stations, organize the people who would be "working" the event, sending reminders, etc.  I worked at least 6 hours...  Uff da.  I was tired and a little annoyed...  But I still LIKED doing it. 

Then, Saturday I went with a family and some kids to the ski hill all day.  So much fun.  Technically, I was working that whole time - but it was too much fun to be sad about working on a Saturday.  I love the kids and the families, my hubby got to come with, and I made a new friend in the chalet - so it was a good day!  I left there, went home for supper, then headed back to church for 4 hours to work at the prayer vigil.  It was a 13 hour day - on my day off.

Today, I woke up early and headed to church to clean up after the vigil, taught Confirmation, attended worship, attended meetings, talked to people and did the usual church staff member "stuff."  I'm usually at church on Sundays for about 3 hours.  Today?  Five.

I was supposed to go to a Toddler Playdate this afternoon to meet some of the other younger couples of the church.  But I got home from worship, put on my sweats, and curled up on the couch with a blanket.  We turned on the Olymipcs and I was asleep in no time!  At two o'clock my phone rang.  The playdate was canceled due to the guests of honor having a sick kid.  You wanna know how tired and relieved I was?  I didn't even say, "Ohhh...  Poor kid. I hope she feels better."  Oh no.  I laughed and said, "Oh, good!  I was really enjoying the couch and my blanket!"  Ha ha ha.  Granted, I was not talking to the sick child's parent...  and the other person on the phone seemed a little relieved, too. But, I still felt like a horrible person when I hung up the phone!

I used to be really good at only biting off what I could chew... I need to find my way back to that.  I need to take care of myself, spend time with the hubby, and feed my own soul so that I can be the person I want to be.  I need to give myself rest and fun and relaxation - so that I can share my joy with others. 

I'm working on that.  So if I say, "no" to you in the near future...  It's not that I don't love you.  I just need a little space.  I think this challenge for myself works well during the season of Lent...  "What will I pick up?  And what will I put down?" so that I can grow in my faith, in my relatonships, and in peace and joy... 

Do you face this challenge?  How do you handle it?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  A successful 24 hour prayer vigil!  (50 people prayed during their turns over 24 hours!)
2.  Lots of good feedback about meaningful experiences during the vigil.
3.  A great discussion in Confirmation!
4.  The joy of coming home and knowing I have no where else to go that day!
5.  The dog being overjoyed that we were home!
6.  Knowing I have tomorrow completely off of work!  Woo-hoo!
7.  Making gorgonzola-bacon burgers on the grill tonight! 
8.  Our dog playing "queen of the hill" with her squirrel toy!  Ha ha ha.  (We have a Somali family that lives across the street...  The mom told her young sons that our dog "wasn't right" because she likes to play in the snow!  HA!)
9.  A new episode of "Brothers and Sisters."  Yes - we took a break from the Olympics...
10.  Trader Joe's mini peanut butter cups...  Addicting.

1 comment:

Melissa Kaye said...

Oh Megan, we are in the same boat right now. With my family, school and increasing my weekly work hours from 5 to 20, I barely have any time to myself to recharge or just get some peace. That's why those 20 minutes at the prayer vigil were so important to me. It was peace.

Until I'm taking less classes next quarter, I've made a commitment to myself. It's only one night a month, but no matter what I have to do or get done, I give myself the night that Jake plays poker to scrapbook. It is 4 hours a month that I give to myself as a gift. Even when I'm sleep-deprived, in pain and not feeling like doing it, I force myself up to my scrap area and within 15 minutes I'm feeling better.

Saying no is a great gift to give yourself. Sometimes its hard to do because you don't want to hurt feelings, but it can be the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope you find balance soon!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin