Monday, January 17, 2011

BOOM BOOM: Taking My Time

I was a little skeptical with this card. I hold doors open for people all the time, so I didn't know if I'd really see any new opportunities or witness any unusual reactions. But today, as I headed out to meet a friend for lunch and shopping on a busy street in St. Paul, my hubby reminded me it would be a great place to play this card. So I did!

I decided to splurge and park in a parking ramp (it's an area of the city where it can be nearly impossible to find street parking!)... feeling a little guilty for spending the money on the convenience factor. But I ended up parking on the roof of the ramp - at the same time as several other cars, obviously all together! As I walked to the door for the stairway, I noticed them all falling into line behind me - so I held the door for all of them (maybe 9 or 10). They laughed and said "thank you." And I went on my way, down the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. It looked like I was early for meeting my friend, so no rush!

I got downstairs, and was met with a long hallway to get outside. As I was walking down the hallway, I heard the elevator open behind me - and heard the voices of the laughing group of ladies from the roof! Once again, as I reached the door to outside, I stood and opened the door while they cheerfully passed through.

Once outside, they stood around chatting like they didn't quite know where they wanted to go first. So, I politely squeezed by and headed to the building of the restaurant where I was to meet my friend. I walked inside, looked around, and noticed Jill wasn't there yet... So I stood by the window, watching people pass by.

A couple of minutes later, guess who decides to come to the same restaurant? Yep! The same group of ladies from the parking ramp! So, once again, I go to the door and hold it open for this group. They seemed shocked and giggled - asking if I was their personal door-person for the day. I laughed. I enjoyed being part of their day.

They seemed to be a group of grandmothers, mothers, and daughters - out enjoying a day off of school and work to have a little shopping fun together. It was nice to share this act of simple kindness - and watch them light up and laugh each time.

Throughout the rest of the day I paid extra attention at each door we went through to see if I could hold it for someone - and noticed that my friend always did the same. It's such a simple act of courtesy - and a pity more people don't do it automatically. I know, while I already do this much of the time, I'm going to make the effort to be more intentional about it in the future...We all should, really!

To read about other Boom Booms, check out the website!


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Waking up with the hubby home on a Monday.  How nice!
2.  A re-scheduled dentist appointment - lucky me!
3.  Good news from a friend!
4.  Another Boom Boom completed!
5.  A delish cup of chili at lunch.  Mmm...
6.  Fun, funky shops on Grand Ave.
7.  Exploring the new world of consignment shops!
8.  Sharing my day with Jill - so fun!
9.  A yummy, light dinner of baked trout and edamame.  Yum!
10.  A glass of wine before bed.  Lovely.

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

Where did you eat lunch? Lunch on Grand Ave is my fave.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin