Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ingredients for Joy and Meaning

In the book, "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown, one of the ways she suggests to set priorities in your home is to come up with a list that answers the question, "When things are going really well in our family, what does it look like?"  The answers that come forth are your ingredients for Joy and Meaning.

So today, I'm thinking about my list...  Here's a start:
When things are going really well in my family, what does it look like?

*  Getting 8 hours of sleep.
*  Eating a healthy breakfast.
*  Making time to exercise.
*  Taking a few moments in the morning to read and write.
*  The hubby kisses me goodbye in the morning.
*  The house is picked up (I know it seems petty, but it's one less thing to get on my nerves.).
*  Laughing throughout the day.
*  Work is fulfilling and fun.
*  Doing at least one small thing a day that makes a difference to someone else.
*  Not rushing...  But noticing the world around me (hawks, rainbows, snowmen, etc.).
*  Having dinner with the hubby.
*  Having the time to talk about our days - the ups and downs.
*  Having a calendar full of fun things to look forward to.
*  Keeping up on my "things I'm thankful for" list.
*  Prayer.
*  Laughing with my parents and sisters.
*  Spending time with friends - and helping them out when they need it.
*  Having the time and energy to volunteer.
*  Music.  Everywhere.
*  Cooking a couple of times a week.
*  Going for walks with the pup.
*  Exploring new things and places.
*  Saying "I love you" to those I love.
*  Surprises!
*  Having faith that everything will work out.
*  Learning from mistakes and moving on.
*  Celebrating successes!
*  Noticing the blessings in the people that surround me everyday.


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Inspirational books.
2.  Ways to improve our daily lives.
3.  Getting 8 hours of sleep last night!
4.  Chocolate soy milk on Rice Krispies - a fun morning treat!
5.  The house smelling like fresh baked bread.
6.  Playing with the dog - and all 3 of her tennis balls!
7.  Pictures of my sister in California - looks like lots of laughter!
8.  Prayers for friends.
9.  People talking smack about our chili-cookoff at church - fun competition!
10.  Home.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin