Monday, January 3, 2011

Gratitude

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul."
--Henry Ward Beecher

"We can always tend the gratitude in our hearts.  Even when we're in an emotionally barren wasteland, when it feels like the light will never stick around long enough and there is no hope for those first green shoots, we have to keep our faith.  Gratitude is a hardy stalk; it can sprout with almost no tending.  Give it even half a chance by just murmuring something simple and mundane, at least once a day.  'Thanks for the pizza.'  'Thanks for sharp pencils.'  'Thanks for comfortable shoes.'  You don't have to do anything big, just help that gratitude push its way out of the seed and up into the light.  You'll be amazed at how fast it sprouts and grows, and how beautiful it blossoms."
--Mina Parker, "Less is More"

And you wonder why I list things every day that I am thankful for?  I'm growing something big here.  Something that will sustain me in the troubled days to come...  It's pretty cool to think of all these days of gratitude growing into a huge, stately, old, oak tree.  Sheltering me from the storm...  I like that image.

What are you grateful for today?

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Sleeping in a bit.
2.  A healthy breakfast.
3.  Weight Watchers.  The people are nice and supportive.
4.  0 point fruits and veggies!
5.  An afternoon with Em, Elly, and little Sam.  So fun.
6.  Finger-painting.  Elly reminded me how fun it can be!
7.  Good tires on slippery roads.
8.  Leftovers - ready to be eaten when I've gone too long without food!
9.  Reminders that our marriage is good - and has come a long way.
10.  Honesty.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin