"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."
"Does flossing your teeth feed your soul? Does sorting laundry make you thrive? It most certainly can. It's not just prayer that brings us closer to our spiritual selves. We don't turn off our soul's work in order to do the dishes. Any action at all can be devotional in nature if it is done from a clear, loving place. Caring for your body, your home, and your family don't have to be time away spiritual practice. They can be meditative, or they can just be what they are: simple actions, repeated, toward a goal of living better. The more positive energy we bring to them, the easier they will be and the more they will serve us on many levels."
--Mina Parker, from "Less is More"
Simple actions, repeated, toward a goal of living better. People make fun of me for being so neat and making sure my house is clean and in order - but this is exactly what it is. Simple actions. Time to think. De-cluttering = de-stressing. I've even found lately that I do some of my best brainstorming when I'm on the elliptical! Half an hour of pushing myself in repetitive actions that make my blood pump harder, my breath forced in and out, and my brain synapses firing left and right!
I do these things to take care of myself - and to continue to bring clarity into my day. As odd as it sounds, cleaning and exercising are gifts in my day.
Whoa. That was a weird discovery! Ha ha ha.
Things I am thankful for today:
1. Reading for fun.
2. Getting some more details in place for the weekend.
3. A date night with the hubby!
4. Gift cards for an almost free date night!
5. Mozzarella sticks - a guilty pleasure.
6. A movie so horrible all we could do is look at each other and bust out laughing.
7. Running into friends at the movie that had the same response!
8. Getting my car washed - finally!
9. A call from a friend. Love her.
10. Going to bed somewhat early for a Friday night! (It was kind of nice...)
100 plants on fabric.
42 minutes ago