Sunday, January 2, 2011

Simplicity - Release

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
--Lao-Tzu

"Taoist philosophy states that when you let something go from your life, something better will come in."
--Mary Carlomagno

I'm starting to read a new book for the year.  "Secrets of Simplicity: Learn to Live Better with Less" by Mary Carlomagno.  It takes you step-by-step through the process of simplifying your life - stuff, schedules, thoughts, interactions, etc - and helps you examine the feelings behind them at the same time.  Interesting.  I thought I'd give it a try.

Today's reading challenges me to "release" something for one month.  Hmmm...  I'm starting Weight Watchers again (feels like I'm releasing all things yummy!).  Ok, how about....  TV in the mornings?  One of these days I'm going to give that up for good!  Yep.  That's the one.  I'm sticking with it.

Emotionally and physically how do I feel about this?  Tired.  Ha ha ha.  I watch TV in the mornings when I don't feel like getting up and going!  The thought of not taking that few minutes to "veg out" - and instead start my day in an active way...  makes me tired.  But I'm sure that will change when I see what else I can accomplish with that time!

How much time do you spend on this per week?  Oh.  Too much.  At least an hour a day is wasted with TV in the morning. Both by only watching, and by multi-tasking.  I want to learn to not have the TV on unless I am truly enjoying what I am watching.  Goodness!  That's a minimum of 7 hours a week I could be doing something else!

What will replace what you have given up?  Exercise.  Eating a healthy breakfast.  Preparing a healthy lunch.  Part of my quiet time - reading and writing - with NO distractions!  Sleep - on the days I need it...

Can you live without it?  Of course I can.  I give it up every Lent.  And enjoy my life without it...  So why do I start up again?  Silly.

"Be aware of the tempting and irresistible allure of the perfect excuse.  We all make them, whether consciously or unconsciously.  Recognizing our excuses will help us to release even more and gain better understanding of why we do the things we do..."

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Our Blessing Service at church this morning.
2.  Lunch with Kelsey!
3.  A nice memorial service for Linda B. - a disabled long-term member of our church.  (The service was mostly for residents at her group home - so fun to see their love of her and hear their stories!)
4.  Christmas dessert - finally!
5.  Remembering to eat only half my meal at lunch, and bring the rest home!
6.  Cuddling up for a new TV night with the hubby.  (For shows I want to watch.)
7.  Good books.
8.  Looking forward to a quiet week.
9.  My home.  Even when it's messy.
10.  Our dog - so full of cuddles this week.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin