Monday, January 24, 2011

BOOM BOOM: So Proud


When I took out this card... I have to admit, I wasn't sure I could do anything with it. I always keep my phone in my purse or pocket, and on silent if I'm with someone else. It drives me nuts when I'm visiting with people and they're constantly checking their phone. So I'm very aware of putting mine away.

(In fact, I used to never wear a watch - I'd just use my phone as my clock. But I realized, it meant I always was looking at my phone to check the time and the person I was with probably thought I was more interested in waiting for a call or text, than talking to them. That was not ok. I bought a watch and wore one for the first time in 10 years!)

So, back to the card. I wasn't sure I could use it - but I noticed myself paying more attention to how other people used their cell phones - and found someone to be very proud of!

I recently met one of my former youth group kids for lunch. He's in college now and doing very well. He's fun to be around and full of interesting conversation. We were having a wonderful time catching up when he told me that his new girlfriend and he were going sledding after he and I finished lunch. (We had already been talking for a couple of hours!) I asked if he needed to go, realizing his phone had vibrated a few times during our conversation and wondering if he was anxious to leave. But, he didn't even check the phone. He was completely present in our visit.

For a college guy, to put away his phone, when he's awaiting a call from his new, beautiful girlfriend - in order to chat with an old youth director?! Wow. I was so proud of the consideration and respect - and of the person he is, and is becoming.

What a wonderful gift to me. Thanks, John!


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  The ability to sleep in after a rough night.  (Loud winds = migraine.  Ugh.)
2.  Hubby comes home tonight!
3.  Making homemade marinara sauce.  Yum.
4.  The dog is SO HAPPY to have the hubby home. 
5.  Daydreaming.
6.  Good books.
7.  Pastor Penny comes back this week - work will get back to normal!
8.  Egyptian Licorice tea.
9.  Getting through a tough workout today.
10.  Did I mention the hubby is home?  :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin