Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blessed

Oh boy. Today was a day. One of those days where you leave your office (at 7:30pm) and make the long drive home (in the driving rain and fog) - emotionally exhausted and looking forward to the calm and quiet of home.

I have been an ear, a shoulder, and a prayer partner, for a few people this week - people dealing with heartbreak, sorrow, fears, and frustrations with life. While it emotionally wears me down, physically exhausts me, and mentally taxes me... I feel so blessed to be invited into their lives. As I sat listening to a church member and friend tonight, and prayed with her in her grief, I was reminded of what a privelege it is to be the one with whom she chooses to talk.

It's a big deal. It's a big responsibility and a gift at the same time. I don't know that I always have the words - in fact, I've been reminded lately that I often don't. But one thing I can do is listen. And pray. If that's one way that God can use me - so be it. (I can always nap later...)

Where have you been blessed today?

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Feeling a little bit caught up at work.
2. A granola bar that I forgot about in my bag - Lunch!
3. Fun emails from my buddy, Gil.
4. It's Clergy Appreciation Month - have you thanked your pastor for all they do for you?
5. Having a couch with a pillow and a blanket in my office... It comes in handy on days like today!
6. Being there when someone needs you.
7. The smell of lit matches.
8. Windshield wipers and good tires!
9. Hot tea on a cold day.
10. Season premiere of Private Practice (even if it was even more emotionally draining...).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are good at what you do!

Blessings... just knowing that what I do for the kids does matter in their lives!

I think I need to listen for those blessings more clearly!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin