Thursday, October 15, 2009

Attitude

"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts."
--Henry David Thoreau

"We know now that there are many aspects to real life in which our opinion is neither sought nor required. Sometimes, despite our best efforts and positive thinking, health, fortune, and/or peace elude us. But the one thing we do have complete control over is the quality of our days. Even when we're grief stricken, racked with pain, sick from worry, deeply depressed, squeezed by circumstances - how we greet, meet, and complete each day is our choosing.

"For some time now I have been conducting a top-secret experiment with life, as Thoreau suggests we do. I wanted to see just how much influence I really had on the day's character. So the first words I speak in the morning are: 'Thank you for the gift of this wonderful day.'

"Here are the initial findings, but you will not like them. Nor did I.
* All days are wonderful in direct proportion to the creative energy invested in them. No investment, no return.
* Even lousy days possess hidden wonder. Sometimes all you need is a moment of attitude adjustment to shift your perception of an entire afternoon and move forward into a pleasant evening.
* Weather does not seem to affect the experiment. Gray, cold, and rainy days spent in an office are just as susceptible to the warming influence of enthusiasm as are sunny days spent lying in a hammock sipping sangria.
* Days that are expected to be wonderful before they begin turn out to be so much more frequently than days greeted with grumbling.
* The results of this experiment suggest that it doesn't matter whether a day is good or bad. What matters is what we do with it.

"We knew that."
--Simple Abundance

A great reminder as we head into yet ANOTHER gray, cold, rainy day! These dark, wet days are sapping me of my energy and enthusiasm. But yes, the day is what I make it - so, thank you, God, for another wonderful day! And away we go!

Things I am thankful for today:

1. The newest Dove body-image commercial. It makes me smile everytime.
2. Pumpkin candles.
3. Diane's help and patience with me!
4. A warm, cheerful office - on a rainy, gloomy day.
5. The hubby being SO EXCITED to baby-sit our god-daughter, Elly. So cute.
6. My parents' dog, Hershey, is staying with us tonight - her cuddles.
7. Looking forward to the weekend.
8. Time alone.
9. Maybe seeing an old youth group kid this weekend!
10. A note from Diane on my new whiteboard/bulletin board. Ha ha ha.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin