'Ask yourself, 'Why did God create but one man?' the Reb said, wagging a finger. 'Why, if he meant for there to be faiths bickering with each other, didn't he create that from the start? He created trees, right? Not one tree, countless trees. Why not the same with man?
'Because we are all from that one man - and all from that one God. That's the message.'
Then why, I asked, is the world so fractured?
'Well, you can look at it this way. Would you want the world to all look alike? No. The genius of life is its variety.
'Even in our own faith, we have questions and answers, interpretations, debates. In Christianity, in Catholicism, in other faiths, the same thing - debates, interpretations. That is the beauty. It's like being a musician. If you found the note, and you kept hitting that note all the time, you would go nuts. It's the blending of the different notes that makes the music.'
The music of what?
'Of believing in something bigger than yourself.'
But what if someone from another faith won't recognize yours? Or wants you dead for it?
'That is not faith. That is hate.' He sighed. 'And if you ask me, God sits up there and cries when that happens.'"
--from the book, "Have a Little Faith" by Mitch Albom
Things I am thankful for today:
1. My church - such great people.
2. The choir did a cool performance of "Down to the River to Pray." Nice work!
3. Pancakes at church - yummy! (I even liked the sausage... Weird!)
4. Paintball with the youth group boys!
5. My hubby turning into one of the kids at the Paintball fields! So funny!
6. Hot dogs on the grill with chips.... A good outdoor meal on a cold fall day!
7. The parents' that went with us - Cathy, Jake, and Ron - so fun to have you guys along for the fun!
8. Warm winter clothes - I made some good buys last year!
9. A nice warm shower and warm jammies after sitting outside in the cold for HOURS!
10. A fun day. Loved it.