"'I think people expect too much from marriage today,' he said. 'They expect perfection. Every moment should be bliss. That's TV or movies. But that is not the human experience.
'Like Sarah [Reb's wife] says, twenty good minutes here, forty good minutes there, it adds up to something beautiful. The trick is when things aren't so great, you don't junk the whole thing. It's okay to have an argument. It's okay that the other one nudges you a little, bothers you a little. It's part of being close to someone.
'But the joy you get from that same closeness - when you watch your children, when you wake up and smile at each other - that, as our tradition teaches us, is a blessing. People forget that.'
Why do they forget that?
'Because the word "commitment" has lost its meaning. I'm old enough to remember when it used to be a positive. A committed person was someone to be admired. He was loyal and steady. Now a commitment is something you avoid. You don't want to tie yourself down.
'It's the same with faith, by the way. We don't want to get stuck in having to go to services all the time, or having to follow all the rules. We don't want to commit to God. We'll take Him when we need Him, or when things are going good. But real commitment? That requires staying power - in faith and in marriage.'
And if you don't commit? I asked.
'Your choice. But you miss what's on the other side.'
What's on the other side?
'Ah.' He smiled. 'A happiness you cannot find alone.'"
--from the book, "Have a Little Faith," bu Mitch Albom
Things I am thankful for today:
1. New pants - I love comfy new pants.
2. Pumpkin shakes - 1st one of the year!
3. Being alone at work most of the day - I got a lot done, and my office was cozy and warm!
4. Candy corn, chips and salsa, and chocolate cake at book group. Whoa!
5. It's supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow! Hallelujah!
6. Funny emails from friends throughout the day.
7. The dog tilting her head at my phone as it rings - you'd think it was a live animal. Too funny!
8. Ha ha ha. The hubby telling me he likes my new pants. *Grin*
9. The Twins won. (No, I didn't watch the game - but it's fun to see everyone else so excited!)
10. Looking forward to being awake and relaxed as the hubby shows me pictures from his trip and tells me more stories - tomorrow night!
Book Review: A.J. Fikry
7 hours ago