Sunday, October 4, 2009

Action

"Every time you forgive someone who hurt you, encourage someone who feels defeated, extend compassion to someone who stands alone, confront someone in love, open your heart to a friend, reconcile with an enemy, devote time to a child, you align yourself with God's central purpose in this world."
--John Ortberg

LOVE this quote! It was on my little daily quote calendar today - and it fits with everything I've been learning and growing into this week!

Today's sermon at church was about anger and how we deal with it. About forgiving - and moving forward with our anger to do good in the world. If we are angry at an injustice, turn it around and use that energy to fight for what is right. If we are angry at being hurt by someone, turn it around to learn more about ourselves and how we treat others.

Regardless of what it is you are angry about: 1) Be attentive to what's going on and why you feel the way you do. 2) Pray about your feelings. Let God in and pour out the good and the bad - be brutally honest with God. By doing this you open yourself up to how God may use the situation or you! 3) Pray for your enemies. Hard I know, but DO it! 4) And lastly, use that angry energy to do something good for the world. It can be small, it can be huge - but DO something!

I found it so interesting that this tied in so well with what we talked about with the confirmation class this week, too. We used the NOOMA video, "Open" by Rob Bell - talking all about prayer. If you haven't seen it, here are the links for it on youtube.com. I don't think I've ever heard someone talk about prayer in this way before - and I LOVE it! It spoke directly to my heart - and I've been thinking about it all week. So, if you struggle with the concept of prayer, take 11 minutes and watch this. I highly recommend it!


Part One
Part Two


Blessings on you today - and on all the ways you struggle with anger and prayer. May God help you through your struggles in new and wondrous ways!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Pastor Penny teaching class today, so I could go to an "adult" education class (for the first time in 5 years!).
2. Ken, at church. He makes me smile.
3. Carol's surprise at me actually giving her fuzzy socks! Ha ha ha. So funny.
4. The movie, "Nottinghill." It was on TV today - I love this movie...
5. My hubby and our friend, Mark, getting home from their backpacking trip safe and sound.
6. Listening to all their stories, laughing at all their excitement, and enjoying their banter - a good trip this year!
7. The hubby and I going out to dinner after dropping Mark off at the airport. A nice "welcome home."
8. The hubby ordered dessert - gourmet mini donuts (with a hint of orange) and chocolate habenero dipping sauce. Delish!
9. The dog's joy at having the hubby home - so cute! They curled up on the couch together and were asleep within seconds.
10. A good night's sleep in a warm, comfy, bed - with all three of us together! Ha ha ha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey I like your post... I got so much out of yesterday! I am excited to see everyone tomorrow!

Kayla Noelle said...

I watched Notting Hill too - always cheers me up when monday seems daunting :]

Blog Widget by LinkWithin