Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wow

Today was a good day. Sundays usually are - I work at two churches and love Sunday mornings. I get to see and talk with so many people, teach confirmation class, catch up with some of the older youth - it wears me out, but I love it!

Today I was blind-sided by a little plot between my pastor and one of my youth. At one of my churches, they are currently campaigning to raise money for me to go full-time in ministry at just that church (the other church has to let me go in July due to financial reasons). So today, one of my youth (who I have worked very closely with since I started five years ago) got up in front of the whole congregation and gave a short speech about how I have affected her life - and that's one of the reasons the church should take me on full-time. I cried. A lot.

Working with children and youth you don't often hear if, or how, you have influenced their lives. I've worked with a lot of young people over the last ten years - many of whom I still keep in touch with over many miles. That means the world to me. It's also amazing to hear it put into words. Kelsey has no idea how she has influenced my life as well. We're lucky gals to know each other.

I've decided to post some of what she said here - not to embarrass her, or brag about how great I am... Simply to put into in my "electronic scrapbook" - so I can always look back at it when I need a "pick me up."

"...I met Megan Adams in 8th grade. I was the only confirmand in 2006 so I got to spend plenty of one-on-one time with her and formed a friendship quickly. She became someone I could talk to about whatever was going on in my life. I knew I could talk to her about anything: problems I was having with friends, who I had a crush on or how my psoriasis was acting that week. Even though I am done with confirmation, we still meet regularly. If the walls at Caribou (Coffee) could talk, they would know a lot about the past four years! Megan has helped me through some of the more difficult times in my life, being a shoulder to cry on; and someone to share the joys with. Last spring, I realized how much she was a part of my life when she had her cancer scare. Imagining how much things could change was frightening for me.
I admire Megan's strength, ability to laugh, her good listening skills and fresh ideas... Megan has played a big role in my spiritual development, as well as my development as an individual. Because of Megan I have realized what is truly important in life: taking a risk every now and then is good for you and the need to cherish the people closest to you. The impact Megan has made in my life will last forever..."


Thank you, Kelsey. So much.

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Loving and supportive friends.
2. Getting to watch youth grow into beautiful adults.
3. Kelsey's speech.
4. Curt was home.
5. Carissa joined us in class - and she remembers stuff from 2 years ago!
6. Dinner on the grill.
7. Playing ball with the dog outside. 8. Finley is ok - my niece went to the ER the other day.
9. Trail mix - thanks, Em!
10. A lazy afternoon with the hubby.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are simply awesome! Period!

Andrea, the little collector said...

What a beautiful tribute!

Carol E. said...

And I missed it! Traveling is fun, but missing church on a monumental day is not! Kelsey is right... you're super!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin