Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
-- Anne Bradstreet, 'Meditations Divine and Moral,' 1655

As a Minnesotan, I agree wholeheartedly! Our Minnesota winters drag on, and on, and on, and on. And when we see those first robins - we rejoice! And then it snows. We have that first day of going for a walk without a jacket - we praise God! And then it snows. We see the first green shoots from our daffodils - we smile all day! And then it snows... BUT, when at last the sun and warmth "sticks" - life is celebrated everyday in the great outdoors! I'm eagerly awaiting those splendid, dazzling, summer days!

I also agree with the need for adversity in our lives - to truly appreciate the prosperity. It's been a year since my scare with cancer - and I am thinking about it every day. A year ago, I was doing my best to be strong and fearless for those around me. I was learning everything I could about fighting and standing up to cancer. I was inwardly wondering what life would be like when the scare was all over. I was ready and willing to make any changes I needed to. But, it was only a scare. A simple procedure took care of it, after weeks of tests and uncertainty. I had some recovering - but life would go on as normal.

My daily life changed. I eat healthier and exercise more - and when I hate it, I think, "this is so my body is ready for anything!" I LOVE to spend time with family and friends - and I try to tell them that all the time! I am thankful for the little things - it may seem silly to write down 10 things everyday that I am thankful for - but let me tell you, it's life-changing. Days can be hard and frustrating... But when you're focusing on the good, and remembering the not-so-good, you realize how lucky you really are - EVERY DAY.

I've faced adversity in my life - last spring being the most dramatic example; and I've faced prosperity in my life - every day. I have a good life, and I cherish it. Even the dragging winters of Minnesota - because, eventually, spring does come. And when it does, it's GLORIOUS!

Things I am thankful for today:

1. It didn't snow today! (Bummer... It was snowing when I left book group...)
2. Bananas.
3. Laughing about a block of cheese at work!
4. A flexible work day.
5. Finishing my book for book group - just in time!
6. Bailey cuddling with her toy. 7. Homemade pizza for dinner.
8. Flowers in my kitchen, blooming!
9. Moisturizers.
10. Birthday money to go shopping for spring clothes! LOL
11. Book group - so fun, lots of laughs, good friends.
12. Johnny Lang, Angel Taylor, and David Grey on the radio on my drive home...

2 comments:

Andrea, the little collector said...

What a beautiful reminder. :) Now I know a little bit about what started your little lists. Glad to have your optimism.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin